Stuart Turner Pump Pulsing When Shower Off. | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stuart Turner Pump Pulsing When Shower Off. in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Strange one.
Stuart Turner Showermate, supplied by customer, fitted March last year.
All was well until August when they contacted me to say there was an issue with it pulsing when the shower is off.
I don't believe in coincidence, but at the same time as the issue arose they were having an extension built and I had nothing to do with the plumbing.
Went and had a look, cleaned filters, checked everything out and could find nothing.
Phoned Stuart Turner who advised me to turn hot and cold feeds off at the pumps. It stopped pulsing and they said there's a leak on the system.
It's a good install, pump on floor of cylinder cupboard, hot water is first feed to pump and cold is directly from loft tank.
Customer advised me they were happy to turn it on and off at the switch.
Been back today for something else and they asked me to look at it again.
Chucked 2 new check valves on the feeds to the shower, checked the mini vessel charge as good but still pulsing when off.
Turned hot water feed off at pump and it stopped pulsing.
Only other hot water outlets in house are kitchen sink mixer and cloakroom basin mixer. I isolated both but still kept pulsing.

Anyone any ideas?

Would pressure test the external / outlet of the pipework

Upvote 0
leave the hot outlet isolated for a while, then when you re-instate if it runs and you hear water flowing to make up what’s benn lost , you know there’s a leak on that bit of pipework.

Could building work have damaged a pipe?

Upvote 0
Is it possible shower valve connections/pipe are leaking within wall?
I’ve just had one where ceiling got wet below and it turned out a female iron had split within the wall. ( this is because some clown had put about 40 wraps of ptfe onto the shower connector) - nothing visible until I started taking times off the wall.

Upvote 0
But if you turn the iso valves outgoing off it stops ?

Upvote 0
Try taking the shower valve off and putting 3/4 brass caps on it, then liven up system.
It could be some sort of crossover? Although I know they should be equal pressure ( resistance will be different in hot/cold supplies)
We are at the straw clutching stage!

Upvote 0
Try taking the shower valve off and putting 3/4 brass caps on it, then liven up system.
It could be some sort of crossover? Although I know they should be equal pressure ( resistance will be different in hot/cold supplies)
We are at the straw clutching stage!
I'll give that a try.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I had same problem found there was slight...
Replies
Views
Peter O’Leary
P
  • Question
I was thinking that myself! Many thanks anyway...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My shower pump started pulsing yesterday while...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Another vote for negative pump.
Replies
Views
Back