Stuck immersion | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stuck immersion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

How do you deal with an immersion that won't budge?

Got one, tried heating it up, brute force, hitting the tool with a hammer, stuck.

Need to release it & change.

Thx

Hi Friends

How do you deal with an immersion that won't budge?

Got one, tried heating it up, brute force, hitting the tool with a hammer, stuck.

Need to release it & change.

Thx

Length of pipe on the bar for more leverage. I have even used my pipe benders. I'm sure others have better suggestions but this works for me. Just watch out for splitting the cylinder obviously. :) I have done that once but it was about 30 years old.

Cheers, here's what it is
e63622703349def5447f8d4c31daa177.jpg
5e9669a78d0ce0f97af26783e7f79d00.jpg
e14d169af4f71c6bbebe8c47906cbf1d.jpg

New cylinder time!

If I can't get it out with immersion spanner and lump hammer then replace the cylinder. If you get something to add more leverage then more than likely you will damage the cylinder.

Are you using a dedicated immersion box spanner?
AKA: Box Immersion Spanner | Pipe Wrenches | NoLinkingToThis

Last edited:
Heat, then short sharp knocks to end of lever.
It's 5hit or bust, you'll find the area around the thread will collapse and twist, usually around the lowest part of the shoulder, if all goes wrong.

Let customer know what's what and good luck, it's just one of those things.

You could consider cutting back the foam insulation around the immersion & using a Surefire to heat the copper a little. You need the water level dropped well below there obviously.
If you can get a junior hacksaw in between the old immersion and its washer (not on the cylinder flange side) & patiently saw right around it, the only way the immersion can then be held is on seized threads.
You guys should be using the Willis external immersion! More economical & if it needs a new element, whole unit can be simply swapped. Instant very hot water goes to the top of cylinder & then heats rest of cylinder.

Immersion box spanner, 24inch stilsons and a lump hammer.
tell the customer if it goes wrong , may need a new cyl!

Depends how much patience you may have. I have cut the fibre washer with a keyhole saw or similar in the past. Once you get a piece of the washer cut out, tap the the rest of the washer out with a thin chisel or old screwdriver. It helps to cut the insulation down for access. Once you get most of the fibre washer out, use a box spanner to remove the immersion. If you keep the cylinder as full of water as possible, it helps reduce the stress on the cylinder.

Do NOT put a blowtorch on it to get some heat on it. You can create a pinhole leak on the cylinder doing this( Trust me I've done it and gotten the hairdryer treatment off my old gaffer for doing it lol. Seen others do it since too). If you can't get it out with immersion spanners or short sharp taps then it's new cylinder time.

You can chain drill a V from the middle to the outside then use a hacksaw blade and big stillies. bit of a faff but tried it once and worked. Took a hell of a long time but saved cust a new cyl.
Found some pics;
AOL Search

AOL Search

As it is a direct one why not drain & take it outside, it is going to be much easier to work on with it on its side & clear of the pipes.
You can get so much more leverage like this & if it doesn't work you have already removed it ready for the new one.

I have used the blow lamp method as a last resort lots of times and no bother at all. Just needs a little heat to break the jointing between the threads, - especially if it has been fitted using Boss White.
Trouble is you need most of the heat on the copper outside the immersion.

That's a very good spanner beats the box type, that & a lump hammer will move most E- heaters

That's a very good spanner beats the box type, that & a lump hammer will move most E- heaters

ive tried them all and that is definitley the dogs danglies and as yoiu say a club hammer sharp taps rather than huge swings does it for me ive only ever split one cylinder and that had been leaking prior to me touching it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Bought a box spanner and eventually got the...
Replies
Views
so if you already have and use E7 then it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You cannot get a repair kit for Mira8 anymore...
Replies
Views
Back