Stuck Nut on Tap Valve | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stuck Nut on Tap Valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,
I am a complete novice but am trying to repair a dripping tap using online instructons on replacing the valve. My kitchen mixer tap is dripping. I don't know whether it is the hot or the cold valve as I haven't managed to find a way to turn off just the hot water so have turned off the whole house water supply at the stopcock with a view to trying to replace the cartridges one by one. But... I can't get either valve out, both appear corroded/heavily calcified and completely stuck and the stupid design means they sit in recessed casings so I can't get a spanner round the nuts properly. I sprayed some WD40 in but that hasn't helped. I thought of trying to get a socket and ratchet set and see if I can turn them like that -- is that a good idea or are there better tools/strategies?

The top of the hot water valve was sitting in water and more corroded whereas the top of the cold water valve is more calcified and dry -- does that mean the drip is more likely to come from the hot water tap?

Any advice gratefully received!

With water turned off fit isolation valves to the pipes to the tap, one it might help you find which side is leaking and two it takes all the pressure off you to do the job quickly.
From what you have said I think I would be looking at fitting a new tap.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Santhosh. I recommend you get a G3 plumber...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Isolate the hot pipework and see if it still...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I should have said, number 4 in the picture is...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Anyone have any ideas here?
Replies
Views
Back