Stuck shower thermostatic valve | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stuck shower thermostatic valve in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Help! The shower thermostatic valve has snapped with half of it stuck inside (the front and centre of the valve are out). Long nosed pliers and WD40 have had no success, and the whole fitting is moving when trying to pull. I was thinking it might be possible to get something in, attach to the stuck part, and then screw it out using the casing as the counter balance.

On the image the outer brass ring is the casing the valve screws into, the inner brass ring is the valve where it has snapped and the hexagonal shape at the back end of the valve. Any ideas what I could use to attach to the back of the hexagonal hole to get a grip then I could put a bar across the outer casing and screw it out potentially.

Other ideas also welcome!

Only suggestion so far is to tear out the tiles and replace entire fitting but entire bathroom tiled so REALLY don't want to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 24
Try getting an appropriate size Allen hex bit and use with a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive socket extension to try and unscrew via the hex at the bottom? If it won't turn, then there is no way its going to come out by pulling. If it does turn, a bit of WD40 or similar, and a bit more turning might loosen it enough to pull out with pliers. As the thermostatic capsule is out (at least, I can't see it) you could try pouring boiling water on the valve. The thermal shock of expansion might be enough to loosen it a little.

I know measuring the hex isn't easy but you could try various round bars until you find one that just fits, then the diameter gives you the "across the flats" measurement. Alternatively the head of a long bolt, or, as a last resort, plasticine on a long rod. If you have, or can borrow, a set of set of Allen hex bits, no need for the foregoing.

Are you sure the valve is broken. These normally come apart, with the two parts screwed together and sealed with something like high strength thread locking compound. The hex is normally used to screw the two parts together during manufacture. If the thread lock fails, the cartridge will come apart as yours has.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks, good to know, I'll go for a new cartridge.
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
That definitely sounds like an airlock on the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just drill 2 new holes in bress and drill...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Do you have a spare tile ? If not it shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Back