System boiler not up to the job? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss System boiler not up to the job? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ratcliffe_mike

I live in a new build and have noticed that if somebody is in the shower and somebody uses a hot tap the hot water pressure drops... I wouldn't normally expect this from a system boiler.

Considering that there are 3 showers in the house as the kids grow older the likelihood of 2 or 3 showers being in use at the same time is going to increase.

I have the following system boiler setup:
  • Baxi Megaflo 2 System 12 Compact GA
  • RM Homeflow Indirect 210L
My house is around 288 cubic metres (just over 10,000 cubic feet).

Not sure how reliable this Baxi boiler is considering that they have been out a couple of times per year for the last 3 years for one problem or another.

Anyhow, it seems to me like the current boiler isn't up to the job... what would you guys recommend as a decent, reliable boiler for my setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to do with the boiler.

Everything to do with your incoming water flow rate. Pound to a pinch it was never checked properly before the installation of the megaflo.

Is the stop tap fully open, and the valve out in the street.

Scratch that, just read it's a new build. Take it up with whoever built the house. They've made a booboo with the sizing of your water main.

id say its likely to be either just a poor water area or your strainer/ combi valve needs a service. The unvented cylinder should be service every year anyway so should be checked then.

as for the boiler, its pants, all baxi GA boilers are pants the GA stands for god awful.

Get a G3 qualified person round to service the Megaflow and explain before they turn up the problems your having.

I'd take croppies' advice and call the builder back to sort out the mains feed to the house, being it's a new build

how much does it drop by ?

Well, in one bathroom if the shower is on full it has a pretty good flow but if I turn two taps on in the double sink (same bathroom) then almost no water gets through to the shower.

Get a G3 qualified person round to service the Megaflow and explain before they turn up the problems your having.

Funny you should say that... we have a Baxi guy coming to fix the boiler (pump has gone) in about 12 hours time.

Yes, I had exactly the same problem when I moved into my new build six months ago!
Put the details on the snag list, plumbers checked system - all OK.
Got onto the water supply company, they arrived to find the the water meter was filled full of sand (from the building works). Good news is that the meter had not been registering since we moved in, so six month's free water!
New meter installed after cleaning out pipe. Now fantastic pressure!
Check your meter readings on a regular basis, you may get some clues there!

id say its likely to be either just a poor water area or your strainer/ combi valve needs a service. The unvented cylinder should be service every year anyway so should be checked then.

as for the boiler, its pants, all baxi GA boilers are pants the GA stands for god awful.

Don't hold back dude, tell it like it is :lol:

Most new builds have a 6 bar supply brand spanking new I've known on occasions the mdpe to get crushed during construction but equally I've had calls to investigate similar problems and it turns out the stopcock isn't fully open have you spoken to the neighbours and seen if they also have a similar issue? Report it to the builder and they will investigate free of charge

Might be an idea depending on how long youve been in the propertry to put a wee snag issue of pressure problem, but also like previously said you may be residing in a low or less pressure area, but theres defo a few filters , strainers , stopcocks, pressure reducing valves can be checked,

Not all new builds have great water mains. Afterall they are connected to the same water supply as the whole area and they still are only garanteed the same pressure and flow as every other supply.

This should be factored into the system design tho and the fact a unvented cylinder has been spec'ed and fitted would make you assume the local area has a good enough supply.

Most new builds have a 6 bar supply brand spanking new I've known on occasions the mdpe to get crushed during construction but equally I've had calls to investigate similar problems and it turns out the stopcock isn't fully open have you spoken to the neighbours and seen if they also have a similar issue? Report it to the builder and they will investigate free of charge

The neighbours let us use their shower yesterday and they have even lower water pressure than we do.

I would first go with the obvious of dirt in filters or stopcock not fully on.
Very common for stopcock or other valves to be turned just slightly on in a new job & forgot about. I have done this myself.
Filters are very fine & a lot of plumbers don't flush the pipes first. Plus on a new build you don't know what has been happening to the water main work outside on several occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Thanks very much indeed, Basher. I'll explore...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 126459
D
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
If the shower is in the bathroom and therefore...
Replies
Views
what pump is he fitting on the mains?
Replies
Views
Get 3 detailed quotes
Replies
Views
Back