System boiler pressure problems - expansion vessel? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss System boiler pressure problems - expansion vessel? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RVS6

Hi there
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar system boiler. On turning on the central heating this week I noted the pressure was a little below 1 bar so I topped it up to the 1 bar mark. Fired up the heating again and noted later that the pressure gauge was well into the red - around 3 bar, but the PRV did not go off.

From a previous life I knew that this could potentially be the pressure/expansion vessel. I called out British Gas, chap found very low pressure in the vessel, re-pressurised, all seemed okay EXCEPT after he went I noted the pressure creeping way back up into the red with the C/H on (I think he only checked it with the hot water on). I thought that maybe he over-pressurised with too much water as I think he mentioned it being set to 1.5bar when cold.

I decided to leave it all off and when I got home later the cold pressure had dropped again to below 1. Topped it up, put the C/H on and the pressure was again back in the red. I checked the PRV pipe outside - bone dry. I cannot find any noticeable leaks at rad valves, pipe elbows etc.

Does this sound like a faulty expansion vessel, and would a faulty expansion vessel cause the cold pressure to drop even if the PRV valve had not activated (so no water being discharged outside)??

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts before I take action.

Many thanks!

RVS6

Call out british gas and tell them they didnt fix it the first time.

Unless your gas safe you can't touch / take the cover off if you have naughty naughty if you are pm gas man the mod

your best bet would be to call a local gas safe eng out if your not on a contract from bg

Thanks for this. I have a BG contract, but before calling them out again I wanted to get a better understanding of what could be causing the problems, particularly the drop in pressure. Call it an inquisitive mind, but I have had a couple of bad experience with engineers!

Any ideas?

Plenty but none we can give you as a non gsr.

Call BG back as above, you're paying for the service after all!

Job 38.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Of course, missed that off the first message...
Replies
Views
ah i see what you mean, just need something...
Replies
Views
if when you have run the c/heating then its...
Replies
Views
That’s up to you, but might be all a plumber...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back