System or gravity..... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss System or gravity..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Im planning an (oil) install on a large house, heating calc suggests 40Kw. Currently in there is a 20/25 outputting on 22mm only (used to be an old cottage but extended 15 years ago). Ill run 28mm out of the boiler as far as poss.

Question is, do I keep the gravity or cap it off and go sealed - Im nervous about pressurising an old system. I cant see the point of pressure testing as any damage is often found after time rather than straight away.

Also the f&e tank shows tide marks which do not reach the overflow which suggests that the system design must be ok?

Im mainly an oil boiler guy rather than a system designer so would value your experience here...

Tanks velly much.

You mean open vented Bunker?

If its worked well open vented then keep it the same. I prefer to seal a system though, when I can.

Deal and pressurise. It busts it burst. System will work 99.32 % better

I take a careful look at all the pipework I can get at to see what the joints look at. If it looks good I consider sealing the system. Any slight weeps showing as stains on pipes out of brass fittings, I fix & replace any cheap or leaking valves. You don't need to have the system operating at very high pressure - 1 bar cold fill is more than enough for a 2 storey house. If plastic fittings, I would worry about them.
Make sure you use a decent powered pump, or consider having split circuits with 2 lesser powered pumps if the house has very long pipe runs or/and restrictive rads or undersized existing pipes.

Deal and pressurise. It busts it burst. System will work 99.32 % better

wow that means the last mexico i sealed is now running at 170% efficency
sealing a good system will make very little difference to its eficency and can cause loads of problems with tiny leaks needing the system filling .Especially on larger systems i always leave them open if i can

Last edited:
Heats faster gets less sludge - open vent oxygen is dissolved via headder

Put a split plate in if its a big house and flush what you can out the open vent side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Back