Tall radiator on a plasterboard wall | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tall radiator on a plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sammyb

Hello - I am hoping to fix a tall Jago Iguana Aplano radiator to a plasterboard wall - it is 1800 tall x 300 wide. Its about 28Kg. I'm trying to avoid ripping up the plasterboard to fix batons etc.

I was planning to screw the two right side fixings into a stud and for the two left side ones to use heavy duty hollow wall anchors into the plasterboard.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'm concerned about the weight.

Sam

If you have a stud on one side the plasterboard fixings will be fine on the other side. Use "toggles" there the best for plasterboard.

110% agree with the above, done this the other day - make sure you get the "gun" though mate

Cheers for replying.

Are you referring to the fixing "gun" for the anchors? I got the anchors from B&Q and it doesn't mention using a fixing gun although I noticed in screw fix there is a goun you can get to use with the fixings.

Why is the fixing gun needed?

where u have no stud how many boards are there? Im assuming 1 or 2?

You can do them without the gun. But it is easier with the gun. You'll use it again and again once you see how good they are.

I use the method stated above withe toggle bolts and gun almost everyday to hang boilers and rads.

Best way is to get at least one fixing into a stud, dont crazy over tighten the toggle bolts either

I think i use the M5 size toggle bolts and a 10mm drill bit to piolt the hole so its nice and tight, them hammer toggle bolt in gently then operate the gun

If you don't want to buy a gun, then just use a metal washer below the head of the bolt, & a dot of oil, then tighten up until it closes the toggle properly. Takes a lot turns! Don't over tighten, as you will strip threads.

If you don't want to buy a gun, then just use a metal washer below the head of the bolt, & a dot of oil, then tighten up until it closes the toggle properly. Takes a lot turns! Don't over tighten, as you will strip threads.
You shouldn't even need a washer as bracket itself can be used to help tighten the toggle and it will expand behind the plasterboard as you tighten.

You shouldn't even need a washer as bracket itself can be used to help tighten the toggle and it will expand behind the plasterboard as you tighten.
I meant the washer behind the bolt head to reduce friction. The friction is a lot, while the toggle is compressing, that's why I suggest a dot of oil also. You are better with a washer usually, as brackets can have large holes.

I meant the washer behind the bolt head to reduce friction. The friction is a lot, while the toggle is compressing, that's why I suggest a dot of oil also. You are better with a washer usually, as brackets can have large holes.
Goes without saying as toggles come with a washer already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks. Yes, I overthink, especially when...
Replies
Views
You're probably right, I tend to overthink...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Thanks everyone. I am not tiling behind, so I...
Replies
Views
P
yes the plastic clips are definitely on there...
Replies
Views
Peter Clarke
P
Back