tap reseating tool | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss tap reseating tool in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

H

hunterseye

Which is the best priced/value for money tap reseating tool. And will i need one for metric and one for imperial?:smilewinkgrin:

your right when you say it 'never hurts to do'
sometimes you can get a rough edge on a tap seat, a re-seating tool will buff the edge away.

i use a cheap one, cost about £7 i think. does the job

sometimes when your changing a tap washer, the customer is standing watching you, using a re-seating tool, even if it's not needed, makes them feel like there getting the job done better.

bull baffles brains as they say. :smilewinkgrin:

You may consider it strange but in 35 years I have never needed to reseat a tap.

Neither have i!
I once had a go with one just to see how it worked (on an old tap from the scrap pile) out of curiosity because a guy who worked with me had it and i'd never even seen one.
Use domed washers and you will never ever need one.

Neither have i!
I once had a go with one just to see how it worked (on an old tap from the scrap pile) out of curiosity because a guy who worked with me had it and i'd never even seen one.
Use domed washers and you will never ever need one.

Am amazed that after years, you guys are virgin tap reseaters! :smile:
The old taps usually on mains supply, sometimes would have been impossible to stop dripping without grinding the seating down. One light rub with the seating tool & when you looked at the seating with a light, you would see nice gleaming brass, with a lump missing or a line in it, like a hacksaw cut.
I wouldn't recommend reseating taps unless needed. The modern taps have a well finished seating & modern taps rarely last long anyhow!

Last edited:
I've got a cracking reseating tool that you use in a drill. The cutting edges will only cut until the seat is flat. Flip knows how it works but it does and because it fits a drill it only takes a few secs. I used to have a couple of old school reseating tools but I sold them on e-blag when I got the new one. I picked it up at interbuild a good few years ago and not seen one since.

I've got a cracking reseating tool that you use in a drill. The cutting edges will only cut until the seat is flat. Flip knows how it works but it does and because it fits a drill it only takes a few secs. I used to have a couple of old school reseating tools but I sold them on e-blag when I got the new one. I picked it up at interbuild a good few years ago and not seen one since.

"Hydroseal" is one that fits a cordless drill. Australian made, but don't know if easily available.

I have one of the expensive kits and use it only when I need to or if I feel the need to impress.

A lot of the time with gravity systems you have to work live as you don't want to be snapping gate valves off for the sake of a tap washer.

You have never reseated a tap?????????
I'm the unluckiest umber in Glasgow, when we worked on cyclic maintenance and got a job line to washer the 6 taps I always found 4-5 of them needed reseated and repacked ( obviously 5 minutes for a washer and 16 minutes for washer/pack/reseat had nothing to do with it) the bonus guy would only pay the codes to the guys who had a reseating tool haha, those were the days, TBH I tended to reseat them all just to clean it up a bit

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Never did me any harm… mind you that’s about...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Has the world gone crazy, tool prices So, a...
Replies
Views
Dustydazzler
D
  • Question
Went with both options, my new bacho wide grip...
Replies
Views
  • Question
put your re-seating tool in a drill chuck and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tap spanner/box spanner works in a pinch.
Replies
Views
Back