TB for commisioning someone elses work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss TB for commisioning someone elses work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anybody got the number for this TB gas safe bloke couldnt find it and I would like to have a read through it before I tell this customer where to go. I dont really want to do it so will scare him off with a nice big price but need to have a read of it so I know what to say to him.

Well I had a phone call of a person who apparently had a boiler installed by a local commercial and domestic gas company, The boiler was actually installed by a commercial engineer and he said a lad will be out to commision it. After he left the bloke has tried to get it commisioned and the company are denying fitting it so he is after having it commisioned.

I told him that it is a very grey area and will have to speak to gas safe regarding it. Whilst speaking to gas safe he said there is a technical bulletin about it but he couldnt find it so I would like the TB number to have a read up so I can tell the bloke his best way forward.

Me personally I think he may of installed it himself and wants it commisioned to get warranty on it.

I think I'm going to tell him that in order to commision the boiler I am going to have to take the boiler off the wall and start again so that I can inspect the flue, gas, fixings etc so will have to charge accordingly.

Thought 001 was unsafe situation procedures

I woudnt say boiler has to come off wall, but flue would have to come off and gas pipe inspected all the way back to meter and prv and condensate checked etc!!!
if it has air intake inspection then you wont need to do flue but i dont find it very accurate doing the air intake test!!!
Hard as if you are right then he needs to learn a lesson, however if he is telling the truth then you are just being rotten!!!

I woudnt say boiler has to come off wall, but flue would have to come off and gas pipe inspected all the way back to meter and prv and condensate checked etc!!!
if it has air intake inspection then you wont need to do flue but i dont find it very accurate doing the air intake test!!!
Hard as if you are right then he needs to learn a lesson, however if he is telling the truth then you are just being rotten!!!

From what gas safe told me then if they have fixed to the wall with a bad fixing/too small screws etc and the boiler falls off then it would be down to me. So in my eyes if I am commissioning it then I want to be covered on all bases.

I'm not really worried if I come across as rotten in this instance I would rather not commission something I haven't installed and risk my own gas safe as I'm only 32 and unless I win the lottery I have a fair few years of work ahead of me. If he has been scammed by this other person then he should of checked to make sure he was gas safe and domestic as a quick look at a card will soon tell you.

After speaking to him again though it was a friend of a friend fitted it so it may be someone has done it as a cash job. I told him to contact gas safe about it.

From what gas safe told me then if they have fixed to the wall with a bad fixing/too small screws etc and the boiler falls off then it would be down to me. So in my eyes if I am commissioning it then I want to be covered on all bases.

true, true, I know somebody who had to go back as they didn't secure boiler using 4 points as per MI's

Well I scanned through the TB, seems gas safe wrote it on the back of a table mat in the canteen. Am I to blame if I do a landlord safety check and it falls off the wall because undersized screws shear ? You could go on forever with these things.

Reading that you'd have to question if its even worth taking on that kind of work.

I think they are trying to make it as difficult as possible. I cant say I blame them but there are alot of people out there with uncommisioned boilers not through there own fault. But alot know what they are doing and if it was cheap to do it why pay someone £1800 to fit a boiler when you can pay £1200 and get someone in to sign it off cheap.

If what that bloke said to me was right I feel sorry for him but you dont know if he just went for the cheapest quote/ fitted it himself/ his builder fitted it (it was in a new extension that he cant get signed off by building control) so why should we go and commision a boiler cheaply.

Theyd be good astronauts studying grey areas

I imagine when someone starts and they get trained all they are told is say "your the engineer on site so you have to decide" then they are put on the phone.

I try not to phone gas safe anymore as when tb008 came out I phoned them a few times regarding certain things and they were no help at all, I asked them if they dont know what to do how the hell are we? I can understand why people go mad with ID AR as they are just covering themselves.
I had gas safe come out when they first started and a flue terminated in to a neighbours property 250mm behind a shed with scorch marks,
Him: what would you classify that?

Me: it is ID as it is a fire hazard!

Him: is it on fire?

Me: no.

Him: so how is it ID if its not on fire?

Me: ok then it is AR then as there is the potential of causing harm, thinking ok that is fair enough it is not technically immediatly dangerous.

Him: nope your wrong again! as it is not his property it is affecting it is only NTCS.

Me: Are you being serious? If I phoned technical they would say it would be down to my discretion so I would at least AR it. Do you not agree that there is a potential risk to cause risk to life or property?

Him: yes but as it is not this property how can you AR this boiler.

We left the property in disagreement I then phoned technical and they said it was AR he phoned technical and they said it NTCS so you can never win.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
It's not 'amateurish', what you've had...
Replies
Views
Back