Temperature on boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Temperature on boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi,

I read somewhere today that the temperature on the front of the boiler, which I thought was just the temperature for the water supplied to the rads, is actually the temperature of the water that is supplied to the coil in the cylinder. Therefore, apparently if the cylinder thermostat is set to 60 degrees but the boiler temperature is set to 50 degrees, then the cylinder will never reach 60 degrees and so the boiler will always be on trying to heat the cylinder to 60 degrees but of course will never get there. This was from a CH engineer I believe but is this correct?

ma701ss

Hi,

I read somewhere today that the temperature on the front of the boiler, which I thought was just the temperature for the water supplied to the rads, is actually the temperature of the water that is supplied to the coil in the cylinder. Therefore, apparently if the cylinder thermostat is set to 60 degrees but the boiler temperature is set to 50 degrees, then the cylinder will never reach 60 degrees and so the boiler will always be on trying to heat the cylinder to 60 degrees but of course will never get there. This was from a CH engineer I believe but is this correct?

ma701ss

Well yes,as you say the water in the boiler heats rads and cylinder coil so you can not heat anything hotter than the boiler temp is set
The cylinder thermostat will not turn power off to boiler until the 60 deg is reached,so with 50 deg on boiler this does mean never,however the boiler will turn off when it reaches 50 deg so will not be on all the time,will just come on after pipework heat loss if no hot water used

thanks but not clear on what you mean by the boiler reaching 50 degress. I thought the boiler set to 50 degrees means that the boiler just heats the water passing through it to 50 degrees, so will continue to supply water at 50 degrees until there is no demand for it. So if the cylinder is set to 60 degrees, I thought that the water will be endlessly supplied through the coil at 50 degrees. Why also does the thermostat dial have a radiatior symbol on it if it also heats water for the boiler?

just means that the valve to the cylinder will always be open, calling for heat.
if your boiler flow temp is less than that, as you stated the cylinder will never reach the temp your asking for.

The thing with my boiler is that the temp on the boiler fluctuates without even touching it. Sometimes it says 54 then the next 62.

Its a British gas 330. Think it's a gloworm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing with my boiler is that the temp on the boiler fluctuates without even touching it. Sometimes it says 54 then the next 62.

So you have not set the boiler to 50 deg,it is probably higher,you just see it there sometimes and sometimes 62 deg,the temp you are looking at is the temp of the water at that time and will fluctuate as water is heated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Yes, one of my manifolds has flow meters but...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back