Testing an Expansion Vessel | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Testing an Expansion Vessel in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaw

When testing an expansion vessel, how much water should come out of the schrader valve when the centre pin is depressed for it to fail? A dribble or a full jet?

Should have no water coming out of the valve, any water to me is a sign of failure.

Me too. Though I heard on a manufacturers training course last year that a small amount of fluid could just be condensation within then confines of the dry side.

Thanks Simon, When the boiler is first put into heating mode the gauge shoots up to 3 bar before settling back down. The boiler then looses total pressure over about 24 hours (I have checked for leaks on the pipe system first - none found), would this also point to a faulty expansion vessel?

Is pressure relief valve discharging? Is the air charge on vessel correct? On the water point,- I think if pressurised air suddenly loses pressure, the air can lose it's water content. I may be talking rubbish, as it's just something I recall.

Last edited:
Water heats up. Water expands by around 4%. Expansion vessel is ruptured and therefore has no room to accomidate expansion (its full of water), so a safety valve opens (pressure relief valve) and dumps the excess water outside. Then the system cools, the water contracts by 4% and your guage on the boiler drops.

Water can't compress, so you don't need to lose much to see this pressure drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Consider the HW (white) EV first. A typical...
Replies
Views
R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
P
It's in the WB installation instructions under...
Replies
Views
just about to do that, WORCS bosch say fit...
Replies
Views
Back