Testing an immersion heater | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Testing an immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

Electrics are my strong point but I'm no dimwit!!

I want to know exactly how to test whether an immersion heater or element has gone pop.

I've searched the www but haven't found what I need.

Any pointers to any sites/books with clear instructions & what the test readings will indicate would be greatly received.

Thanks

Rct

To be honest if its not the fuse on the fixed switch then we always
replace the whole unit because there is no money in mucking about
with these units they are really cheap and dont take long to replace Its not really worth a second visit our customers know and are happy with this approach CHK
Friends

Electrics are my strong point but I'm no dimwit!!

I want to know exactly how to test whether an immersion heater or element has gone pop.

I've searched the www but haven't found what I need.

Any pointers to any sites/books with clear instructions & what the test readings will indicate would be greatly received.

Thanks

Rct

Easiest way is buy a multimeter with a clamp, turn it on , clamp the live wire and see if there's any voltage there. Don't just check for a live because it doesn't actually tell you if it's working. I never change a imm heater unless it's knackt , it's usually the stat.

You can test the resistance, I think it should be 19 ohms off the top of my head.

Check 240V between incoming live to stat and neutral. If OK, move on. If not, check fused spur.

Turn stat all the way down and test for voltage between live out from stat and neutral. Should be 0. Turn stat up and test again. Should have 240V. If not, stat knackered.

If stat OK, check resistance of heating coil. As already said should be ~19 Ohms.

Best and most accurate ways is to test the resistance and also if competent use a megger, the megger is great and will tell you if the element is broken, blast 500v through it lol

Does the Resistance reading not vary depending on the size of the element ie, 27" 8"

Best and most accurate ways is to test the resistance and also if competent use a megger, the megger is great and will tell you if the element is broken, blast 500v through it lol

Ment to say you can also do a simple continuity test with a standartd meter to test the element ,,although not as accurate as megger

Jumping the gun, obviously make sure youve 240v at the stat,

Does the Resistance reading not vary depending on the size of the element ie, 27" 8"

Not as far as I know. They are all 3 KW but longer ones have more surface area so dissipate heat better.

Yeh theyre all 19.2 ohms, cheers masood

I have a megger.
My preffered way to test elements. No ambiguity with resistance values. It will indicate continuity through the element or open circuit.
Also good to test from element to earth in case the insulation is failing and leading to spurious trips

Firstly check the stat has power through it. If it hasn't, then check on modern heaters the manually resettable cut out. (If someone puts clothes over the immersion cover the cut out goes off, or if cylinder is overheated. Hence why it says "do not cover")
Next check live & neutral going to the heater. Neutral part of spur can be burned out or a wire out.

Old faithful

Will pump out 250 500 or 1000v and make faults apparent that other means won't show up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414703824330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414703824330.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
Ohm's law triangle. I
-------
E | R

Another handy one

W
------------
V | A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If there both on together eg not using one as...
Replies
Views
Well he’s making 2 visits. Gas cost is perhaps...
Replies
Views
Just a guess, but you may find that the...
Replies
Views
Thanks everyone. I should go for the...
Replies
Views
Back