Testing central heating system for sludge | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Testing central heating system for sludge in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is there a device where you can bleed the system water in to and look through it like a little tube and if you can see the
circle at the bottom its clean. If not it needs flushing.

Got any doubts have a strong magnet in the van. Copper cannot be magnetised but if you hold a magnet to bare copper pipe and it sticks to it you know there’s a build up of magnetite

Someone has been to the job. As apparently the person's boiler was banging. The plumber looked.in the magnaclean said was full of sludge and the system needs flushing. Every rad removing and flushing out.

Sludge or magnetite builds up due to corrosion. If the system is designed, installed and treated properly then very little to no sludge should ever form. If the system is as fouled as you say it is (which I don’t doubt you) then yes a proper power flush is needed but you also need to find the cause of the air ingress and rectify that.

If the boiler was banging because of sludge it would be the fact that the sludge is blocking the hex and pump?
Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.

Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.
I haven't looked yet. It's a sealed system so I have been told. Not a vented system and don't think it's previously been converted.

If it was bad enough on a system to cause this. Would it be pretty sludgy just bleeding a rad. I know sludge usually settles lower down

Combi or sys/ heat ?

Matt just take a sample out of the system then using one of these test kits send it through the post to them for chemical analysis you will receive a full report what contained in there, a quick inhibitor test kit is available, I wonder if it ever had inhibitor put in the system ? Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 25
Is hot water ok as the first to cop it is a plate normally

All I know is they called someone around as they said the boiler was banging. A plumber came around and said the magnaclean was full of sludge system needs flushing with ever rad taking off. Sounds like a coop out to me.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Thanks Chuck for the elaborate explanation...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Back