Testing for continuity on boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Testing for continuity on boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gemma_p

Hi can anyone explain to me in simple terms about testing this on multimeter with out blowing myself up
Is red prob to live or Is it black prob
I'm learning and can't get my head around this yet
Does anyone have any tips and what to look for on multimeter if components are broken ???

:welcome: Gemma
red - positive
black - neutral
depends what your testing for, continuity, resistance, voltage etc
also depends on how good your meter is

hi genna i,m sure a lot of people on here would like to help but your not coming across very well ,neither the red nor the black is live their all dead you have to make sure you have safetly isolated then use the multimeter to check if you have a continuous circuit the audable buzzer is a big help but do you know how to safetly isolate sorry to be a pain but this stuff is only work and no one wants you to hurt yourself

:welcome: gemma :)

1st post means "who are you?" .... Gas trainee, GSR engineer or Joe public? continuity means in my head "is it okay!"

put your leads into the meter red to com black to vma,set your meter to loop,upside down u or a buzzer symbol ,touch the leads together it will either *buzz* or read 000 this is continuity

Hello everyone I'm an breakdown apprentice and really want to understand multimeter more..
I know boiler has to be isolated
Is the only live test done polarity ?
I work wit someone who does not use one and I think I'm missing out
On screen of multimeter what ohms reading range would u say a component is broken
Thanks everyone for your help so far

It depends what component your testing. Black lead plugs into the com terminal and red into the other one of the two otherwise you will get a reverse polarity reading when testing DC voltage

If you google 'using a multimeter' you'll find many useful pages and videos.
MM

Hi After installation of a boiler you must carry out three safety electrical tests with your meter. 'Continuity':in which you are checking that all metal parts and associated parts ie MOT valves, pump, casing etc. of your boiler are earthed properly. Secondly 'Short Circuit, where you are testing for any short circuit between phase neutral and earth and finally 'Polarity' where the test is live and you are checking that you have not reversed the phase and neutral which requires you to change the settings on your meter from continuity to 240volts ac These tests are not for the uninformed and under the gas installation and use regs should only be carried out by either an ACS certified plumber or qualified electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I do two services stnd and a 5 yearly strip...
Replies
Views
Look at a Viessman 222 10 year manufacturers...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
Back