The coil in my water boiler has broken (I think) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss The coil in my water boiler has broken (I think) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badatdiygirl

OK, so a few weeks ago the hot water in my flat stopped working, and half the electrical appliances stopped working too. After going to the fuse box and switching all appliances off and on several times, I called the electrician, thinking that I had done something catastrophic in the flat and that I couldn't fix it. The electrician came and he told me that I had blown the circuit in the kitchen (something like that, please bare with my non technical language), and then he fixed it, (and he showed me how to do it for the future), but he couldn't get the hot water back on. He went to my boiler which says :

Heater - Pullin
Immersion Heater
GoldDot
3Kw 240V
2bkw 230v
11 '' (inches) ((I'm guessing thats the length of the coil))

and said that the coil has broken and it filled with cold water. He explained that a plumber would need to come in and remove the cold water, replace the rod, and that it was quite a simple process.

Can I have quotes for how much this is supposed to cost? I was told that replacing the coil is very cheap in itself but when I call the plumber agencies they give me astronomical quotes (maybe because I sound like I have no idea what I am doing)

Please help if you can =)

Thanks very much =)

Happy Easter =)

A decent local plumber should not charge more than £100 to change an immersion heater

Depends what area you are in, top or bottom entry, isolation valve and drain valve working ,weather copper or incloy immersion heater to be fitted or does cable need replacing, is is bedded in boss white
Could be well over a £100,I quite often charge more than that, so must fail in the decent local plumber category, that’s me bank holiday spoilt :(:(

"bedded in boss white" - that brings back such unhappy memories !

Hey thanks for the advice.
I live in Bath .. Do you think you could direct me to a 'decent local plumber'?
I would rather call a plumber directly than call an agency but I don't know where to start.

they are only hard to remove if you are swinging of the immersion box spanner!

i use a very blunt cold chisel and wallop the hexagonal fixing 8-12 times frees em up EVERY TIME (unless the cylinder is corroded of course)

no problems ever since i was shown this!

KJ

i use a 24 inch stillsons they dont have any issues getting it out heard of the cold chisel trick and drilling the center out

I have a box key and use a hammer seems to work fine, I would probably be less than £100 to fit it, dont know about the prices in bath though

I had a bad run of stuck immersions using a box spanner, I now use the box ring spanner and a 3lb lump hammer. Haven't had a problem since

You must be in the exellent bracket ;-) I never thought of the side entry and drain down though

Had one about 5 yrs ago that I just couldn't budge, ended up with a 2 inch rip down the side of the cylinder, followed by quite a heated conversation with the customer - ever since I've always remembered to tell the customer there's always a possibility of cylinder damage but strangeley not had a poblem since.
I use a very solid box spanner with two long handles & sometimes a club hammer as well.

Round my way you'd probably pay £75 - £100 plus parts if it was reasonably straightforward

Thanks for the advice. Do any one of you gentlemen want to come round and fix my boiler for me? I'll wear a bikini and serve you tea ;) ha ha.

Had one about 5 yrs ago that I just couldn't budge, ended up with a 2 inch rip down the side of the cylinder, followed by quite a heated conversation with the customer - ever since I've always remembered to tell the customer there's always a possibility of cylinder damage but strangeley not had a poblem since.
I use a very solid box spanner with two long handles & sometimes a club hammer as well.

good bit of advice there for any newbies BLOD allways tell the customer of any potential mishaps,bit of heat on the threads usualy does the trick

I frequently warn customers that there might be damage and not just removing immersion heaters from hot water cylinders (e.g. undoing a tap I might slip and mark the basin). I stop and ask them if they want me to continue and use that time to gauge if they're going to make me pay for the damage or are happy to accept the risk.

But you can almost guarantee that the only time you forget to warn them, something's going to happen !

High risk of crumpling cylinder if well stuck in with Boss White.

See my tutorial under the Hints and Tips fo removing stuck immersions.

Thanks for the advice. Do any one of you gentlemen want to come round and fix my boiler for me? I'll wear a bikini and serve you tea ;) ha ha.

if you've got curves in the right places then maybe....but i'm not promisin anythin:p I've had alot to drink :rolleyes:

infact, ive had alot to drink so i dont care:eek::p

I prefer what's under the clothes ...

... in fact I ask if the customer would like to remove the clothes or would like me to do so ...

... I just find it too risky working in most airing cupboards where there is clothing, towels, bed linen, etc and usually ask for these to be taken away before I attend to the pipework just in case I spill some water ...

I have always used boss white on me immersions
I use a cast iron immersion spanner with a lump hammer
usually charge around £70 to change an immersion unless some muppet installer hasnt installed a DOC, usually ex council properties.
I look great in a mankini
I always warn about possible damage to anything and everything
just trying to think when I am passing bath next!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always use a box spanner and blow torch. If a customer sees you hitting it with a club hammer and the tank splits, saying "these things happen" don't go down to well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Just a thought but can you overdose the system...
Replies
Views
New heating expansion and safety set ?
2 3
Replies
Views
Back