Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

B

baldchris

I'm looking for help with an open vented central heating system that is pumping over. We have a thermal store that has two heat sources - gas central heating, and a wood burner - both feeds are pumped with a Wilo Smart A 25/4-130 circulation (one pump per feed). When the wood burner kicks in (when water is 75 degrees), the water pumped into the thermal store is pumped over into the feed and expansion tank. We don't get the problem with the gas central heating feed.
The wood burner pump is set to the lowest control mode - the gas to the highest. I can't raise the F&E tank higher, nor the vent into the F&E tank.
The only option, I think, is to install a 'weaker' pump for the wood burner. The only reason this has a pump at all, is because there is quite a long, near horizontal feed into the thermal store, so there was a fear that gravity alone would be insufficient. So, my thoughts are that if I more gently pump the water into the store, then it is less likely to pump over (or this could expose my poor grasp of physics!).
So the questions are - do I have any other options - and if I change the pump, are there any recommendations? As you can tell from my explanation, I am not qualified in this area, but I have a vague grasp of the issue!
Thanks for any advice!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have two rads upstairs connected exactly the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Totally incompatible. Look at bumping up the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry, just realised that the first picture...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No as the temp wouldn’t get as hot as the...
Replies
Views
Back