Thermostat replacement | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Thermostat replacement in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi everyone. My thermostat (attached photo) doesn't work anymore. Can only turn it on or off but that's it, it doesn't detect temperature at all. You can see the dial is buggered as well.

Can anyone advise on a like for like replacement? Just the easiest thing to replace this with at low cost. I can't find this particular thermostat anywhere online so just looking for something easy to swap over. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
Good advice Murdoch, but I can conform the Potterton PRT2 does have/need a neutral. I had one on our heating system until a year or so ago!

I always find it strange that diyers will mess with electrics, something you can’t see or hear, but WILL feel and can easily kill you

water you can see

gas you can smell

very odd

I know you asked for a like-for-like replacement but if this is the main control for the whole heating system, I'd suggest you consider upgrading to a seven-day combined programmer / thermostat. They are one of the few gadgets I've found that actually save a noticable amount of fuel. TPI control is also much nicer from a comfort point of view than low-tech on-off.

If you're interested in the idea, the Honeywell T4 is a possibility but ask here for other suggestions. (I like Honeywell but everybody has their own favourite.)

I always find it strange that diyers will mess with electrics, something you can’t see or hear, but WILL feel and can easily kill you

water you can see

gas you can smell

very odd

Luckily I was able to replace all of my house's sockets, switches and light fittings over the years without killing myself. Call me a maniac but I've always turned off at the mains and disconnected wiring and then reconnected in exactly the same way in the like for like replacement socket/switch/fitting etc...

If it wasn't like for like and in any way no straightforward, I wouldn't dream of doing it.
[automerge]1602512211[/automerge]
I know you asked for a like-for-like replacement but if this is the main control for the whole heating system, I'd suggest you consider upgrading to a seven-day combined programmer / thermostat. They are one of the few gadgets I've found that actually save a noticable amount of fuel. TPI control is also much nicer from a comfort point of view than low-tech on-off.

If you're interested in the idea, the Honeywell T4 is a possibility but ask here for other suggestions. (I like Honeywell but everybody has their own favourite.)
Thanks very much for your advice. I didn't want anything too fancy as we are moving house next month. Just didn't want to leave a faulty thermostat for new owners.

Luckily I was able to replace all of my house's sockets, switches and light fittings over the years without killing myself. Call me a maniac but I've always turned off at the mains and disconnected wiring and then reconnected in exactly the same way in the like for like replacement socket/switch/fitting etc...

If it wasn't like for like and in any way no straightforward, I wouldn't dream of doing it.
[automerge]1602512211[/automerge]

Thanks very much for your advice. I didn't want anything too fancy as we are moving house next month. Just didn't want to leave a faulty thermostat for new owners.

You are welcome to my retired Potterton PRT2, in good working condition. Message me if you would like it.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks - you're right, we had a plumber round...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can use any will require a bit of a rewire...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK back early. Too cold! Boiler (hot water)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You would be better to get a EPH wireless...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The water should come out no hotter than the...
Replies
Views
Back