Tight Fit For Pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tight Fit For Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.
Got bit of a head scratcher, for me, but no doubt you have come across problem hundreds of times.
I got to insert a length of copper pipe between the bath tap connectors & isolation valves. Not normally a problem as the copper pipe on the mains feed has some give in it so you just bend them down a bit until pipe slips into the joints.
This will be ok on one pipe but a problem on the hot tap. I have a 22 mm feed coming up from kitchen, then a 90 bend and about 200 mm from that the solder joint with feed up to tap. Because of the pipe coming up from kitchen there is hardly any give in the pipe so I cannot push it down by more than 5 mm. Not really sure but I think about 10mm of pipe goes into each compression joint so I cannot see how I can get the extra 15mm to slip connecting pipe into joints.
I can only think of 2 ways, one is to loosen the tap, slip pipe in and re-tighten tap. The other way is to just slightly lift bath to slip pipe in joints then lower down. As you can gather I want to work with solid copper pipe not flexies. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not a lot of choice. After getting the pipe cutting exact length, slacken the tap off and try it all together to see if it works. If it does, then do any soldered or compression joints, out of place if you can and then you just have the easy task to fit it all together making sure tap is sealed to bath.
Or lift the bath slightly up for final connect up, - but that is rarely an option if bath is already fitted
You can get slip fittings for this, if you have the space, but I have never needed one for a bath tap repipe

Last edited:
If its a straight piece of pipe can you not use a slip coupling....regards Turnpin:smiley2:

slip coupling i was in a plumbing suppliers in wilmslow and they did not know what a slip coupling was

slip coupling i was in a plumbing suppliers in wilmslow and they did not know what a slip coupling was

crikey, you can make one n a pinch with a coupling and round file.

I know you are keen to use all copper and I understand why you want to avoid flexi connectors but there is a middle way. You can use plastic pipe (Like John Guest Speed-fit) for the last run of pipe, just between your copper feed and the tap. This way you can choose to join copper to plastic with either push-fit or compression fittings, using the correct pipe liner of course. It will have enough flex to get it in.

The work will still be reliable if properly installed and it will be hidden under the bath so aesthetics are less of a concern.

Personally I'd just make a slip coupling with a 22mm end feed coupling and my trusty Swiss Army knife to shave/file the pipe stop out but you won't have problems using the method I just described with a short length of plastic tube.

Thanks for you replies & help. Sorry not replied sooner but not been on the computer hardly at all.
In the end it turned out ok. Made the S bends on the 2 pipes and they fitted nicely & I was able to do the nuts up. Just by lifting side of bath just 10 mm I can get the 2 pipes into place.Have not connected them as yet, got to put in the waste & overflow.
Got a ? about the waste fitting in another post.
Again thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks - that was the complete info I needed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's fine. The latter. The black one is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
Back