Time off work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Time off work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

T

TBServices

Well as some of you may have spotted, I had my gallbladder removed today.

Already back home but facing at least 2/3 weeks off work. Worried about money and I know by the time I get back to work I'm gonna be so depressed I can't get back into the swing of it. Also concerned about losing the jobs I've booked in if my time off runs over.

Hopefully if I beg the nice ladies at the estate agents they'll give me a stack of cp12s/servicing to do when I'm allowed to drive again.

How do you guys cope in times like this? It's first time I've ever been forced to take time off for such a long time. Didn't even get any warning

Gutted mate :-(

can you not claim on your insurance for lost earning while you're off?

Ive been looking into insurances incase this ever happens to me when I've got my house.

I know when my mate broke his leg, he claimed on his insurance and they worked out his average take every week and paid him that over the course of his time off.

Failing that, is there not a decent chap you know who you could sub the work out to? Even if you pay him most of the job, atleast you'll have happy customers that will use you again.

Are you talking PLI Tom? I'm not sure I'd be covered.

As for a mate to help me out, the only ones I'd trust will be up to their eyeballs in it.

I'm not too concerned about the short term, I'm a bit frightened that the jobs I've won are gonna go begging now. I was told 1 week recovery, back at work in 2 tops.

Today they told me 2 weeks till I can drive and 4 till I can do anything strenuous

Are you talking PLI Tom? I'm not sure I'd be covered.

As for a mate to help me out, the only ones I'd trust will be up to their eyeballs in it.

I'm not too concerned about the short term, I'm a bit frightened that the jobs I've won are gonna go begging now. I was told 1 week recovery, back at work in 2 tops.

Today they told me 2 weeks till I can drive and 4 till I can do anything strenuous

no not PLI, something like this

Self Employed Income Protection Insurance - Compare Best 10 Insurers | Drewberry?

Not sure on the cost yet as I'm just getting quotes for when I finally buy a home :)

Just have to tell your custards the truth mate and hope they understand and can wait till your recovered, it will be all to easy to go back early and tear a stitch or something and end up off for more time!!
good luck with the doing nothing....it would drive me to insanity.

As already said tom, be upfront with your custards. Most will understand and be sympathetic. Those that aren't, weren't worth working for.

wish you a speedy recovery!

I broke my leg few years ago was out of work for about 6-8 weeks was a mare as nailed all the money i saved and the govt were crap.

It is worth looking into some type of cover but as usual it aint cheap

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but can you do any exercise at all whilst it's healing? If not then I do feel sorry for you. If you can, I find when I've had quiet times before for a while that exercise keeps me motivated, happy and sane.

Doesn't help pay the bills though, I truly do feel very sorry for you and your situation.

Well as some of you may have spotted, I had my gallbladder removed today.

Already back home but facing at least 2/3 weeks off work. Worried about money and I know by the time I get back to work I'm gonna be so depressed I can't get back into the swing of it. Also concerned about losing the jobs I've booked in if my time off runs over.

Hopefully if I beg the nice ladies at the estate agents they'll give me a stack of cp12s/servicing to do when I'm allowed to drive again.

How do you guys cope in times like this? It's first time I've ever been forced to take time off for such a long time. Didn't even get any warning

If you can do gentle walking then spend the whole time putting out flyers. Aim for 3-4 hours a day. By the time you get back to work your phone will be ringing so much you'll be able to make up for lost dosh.

Good idea watertight!

I basically have to take it one day at a time. At the moment I have 4 holes in my belly and a load of gas trapped in my back which is really quite painful/uncomfortable.

Should be able to move about properly in a few days, but nothing strenuous for 4 weeks inc heavy lifting, climbing though lifts etc

End of the day buddy it's you're health. I'm sure your family would rather have you around with no money!! I do feel for you as it's a tricky one but remember if you jump back in too soon you may be out for longer!! I'm sure your customers will be understanding as this stuff happens. Only goin when you feel 100%. Get well soon my man and keep smiling!!! Xx

Cant mess with your health Tom no matter how frustrating. The wife had hers taken out with the key hole procedure, ended up back in a week later for an overnight stay because she wouldnt rest up. Added two weeks to her overall back to normal time.

As for work, keep people upto date and as said those that cant wait are not worth it.

Speedy recovery.

Make a virtue of necessity.

Use the time to work ON your business, not IN your business.

Do analysis on last years books to see where the most profitable work was, and adjust your marketing so you get more profitable work, and less of the other stuff. Research local labour rates to see if you can add a bit to your rates.

Ever thought about expanding? Now's the time to work on that business plan.

Or even go through your old bad debts and have another bash at getting the money.

Fingers crossed for a quick and full recovery.

Make a virtue of necessity.

Use the time to work ON your business, not IN your business.

Do analysis on last years books to see where the most profitable work was, and adjust your marketing so you get more profitable work, and less of the other stuff. Research local labour rates to see if you can add a bit to your rates.

Ever thought about expanding? Now's the time to work on that business plan.

Or even go through your old bad debts and have another bash at getting the money.

Fingers crossed for a quick and full recovery.

I wouldn't know where to start Ray lol. Although I could embark on changing the company branding, which has been on my mind for a while

I think I need to go on a business course

I wouldn't know where to start Ray lol. Although I could embark on changing the company branding, which has been on my mind for a while

I think I need to go on a business course

There are only a few fundamentals.

Sell more
Sell at a higher price
Cut your costs
Manage your cash

All business strategies are a mix of these 4 items.

The purpose of (say) changing your branding is not to get new branding. It is either to sell more, or sell at a higher price. (Or possibly to cut costs if your current branding is expensive)

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
Is it a heat only boiler?, you say a new pump...
Replies
Views
Back