Tips on removing a back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tips on removing a back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gregg1908

Please could some one offer me some advice in regards to removing a back boiler.

The client has a Baxi Bermuda 401 fire fitted along with a back boiler and he wants to keep the fire ditch the BB and fit a combi.

Can the BB be removed and the fire fitted back in place and if so will the fire have a connected flue allready fitted to it.

The fire and bbu are classed as one unit and one can not be fitted /left fitted without the other

The bbu can be decommissioned and left in place and the fire kept in use

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a technical job decommissioning the BBU or is it a point of disconecting the 4no inlets outlets ect on the unit.

It requires a qualified gas safe operative, to inspect unit condition,isolate gas,electrics and water pipework and label accordingly

imho

It requires a qualified gas safe operative, to inspect unit condition,isolate gas,electrics and water pipework and label accordingly

imho
not sure thats true puddle as you dont need to be gas safe to drain down and cut the heating pipework and the threeway gas valve is a user controll and isolating the electrics can be carried out by an electrican although i would prefer to see the gas capped which would require gas safe

baxi no longer recommend this anymore keeping the fire with bbu in place so in theory you have to bin the lot,its the old chestnut if the manufacturer says no then it contraveens mi,s

I have same sort of thing swaping a bbu to a combi customer dosent want me to remove the unit because he dosent want a empty hole as he dosent know whether hes gonna put a fire back or not but he dosent want to use any part so im thinking cap of the incoming gas isolate electics and drain all water out and label up good done correct?

not sure thats true puddle as you dont need to be gas safe to drain down and cut the heating pipework and the threeway gas valve is a user controll and isolating the electrics can be carried out by an electrican although i would prefer to see the gas capped which would require gas safe

the 3 way gas valve on baxi BBU's will either turn the gas on to both, off to both, or off to just the fire (so that you can work on the boiler with the fire removed) you cannot turn the supply off to the boiler and leave the supply on to the fire, and even if you could this would not be classed as a permanent proper disconnection, the pipe needs to be capped by remove the tail into the gas valve (using a rad allan key) then fit a female cap onto the male thread

Thanks for all your posts.

I contacted Baxi and they advised me i can leave the BBU in to give the fire a flue exit,although they dont recomend it it is not illegal.

The fire flues through the BBU surley requiring it to be issolated and left in place ?

Thanks for all your posts.

I contacted Baxi and they advised me i can leave the BBU in to give the fire a flue exit,although they dont recomend it it is not illegal.

The fire flues through the BBU surley requiring it to be issolated and left in place ?

the BBU MUST be left in situ, drained electrics properly disconnected and gas supply into BBU properly blanked, i have seen them left with the pilot blown out "cause the thermocouple has shut the gas" DOH when i say "yes until the thermo electric valve fails and you leave a gas leak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Back