Toilet coupling guidance rge plastic screws | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet coupling guidance rge plastic screws in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you guys part some of your wisdom for me, my daughter has moved into a house and the toilet inlet float is just catching the side of the cistern and sometimes does not fill. The inlet is the type where the float runs up and down the inlet mechanism. If I need to uncouple the cistern from the pan there looks to be two large plastic screws in the bottom of the cistern, do these just unscrew leaving the nuts behind as I have never worked on this type before it has always been the steel screws straight through that I have worked on. Any info greatly appreciated.

Any chance of a few pics

And have you tried just Turning the top part a bit so it doesn't catch ?

Any chance of a few pics

And have you tried just Turning the top part a bit so it doesn't catch ?
I am not at my daughters at the moment so cannot cannot take any pictures. Was a bit wary about trying to turn it but will try tomorrow.

No, they normally screw into metal wing nuts under the pan part of the cistern. However, if you are trying to rotate the inlet valve a bit, you shouldn't have to undo the cistern from the pan, although there are some where you do unless you have the right sized box spanner. The normal procedure would be:
1. Water off, hopefully at an isolation valve.
2. Slightly loosen pipe connection nut to inlet valve shank (say 1/2 turn)
3. Hold inlet valve and slightly loosen valve securing nut under cistern.
4. Rotate valve.
5. Hold valve firmly and re-tighten securing nut.
6. Still holding valve, re-tighten pipe connecting nut.

No, they normally screw into metal wing nuts under the pan part of the cistern. However, if you are trying to rotate the inlet valve a bit, you shouldn't have to undo the cistern from the pan, although there are some where you do unless you have the right sized box spanner. The normal procedure would be:
1. Water off, hopefully at an isolation valve.
2. Slightly loosen pipe connection nut to inlet valve shank (say 1/2 turn)
3. Hold inlet valve and slightly loosen valve securing nut under cistern.
4. Rotate valve.
5. Hold valve firmly and re-tighten securing nut.
6. Still holding valve, re-tighten pipe connecting nut.
Thanks for that I will be there tomorrow so I will give it a try

If the cistern bolts are plastic change them to some stainless steel ones. About £2.80 from toolstation. A lot better quality, less chance of the, leaking.

In a normal close coupled setup the screw heads are retained in a bracket, wing nuts/ nuts underneath;

WC Close Coupling Kit White

Are you saying the plastic screws are inside the cistern bolted through the pan?

If it's bolt through the pan, the nuts need removing from below;
Cistern to Pan Coupling Kit - toiletspares.co.uk

Last edited:
In a normal close coupled setup the screw heads are retained in a bracket, wing nuts/ nuts underneath;

WC Close Coupling Kit White

Are you saying the plastic screws are inside the cistern bolted through the pan?

If it's bolt through the pan, the nuts need removing from below;
Cistern to Pan Coupling Kit - toiletspares.co.uk
Yes they went through cistern and pan so I’ve changed them for the stainless steel ones when I moved position of inlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers Ben-gee: I never thought of heating the...
Replies
Views
If you are certain that it is there and not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I...
Replies
Views
You might be over tightening the push button...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Back