Toilet dripping from inside bowl and cistern constantly filling | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet dripping from inside bowl and cistern constantly filling in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve319

Hi Guys,

I have a toilet that has been getting progressively worse. It is now dripping at a rate of about 1 drop every 2 seconds from under the rim inside the toilet. Then about every 5-6 mins the cistern fills itself again by the amount I guess it has lost through dripping for about a second or so.

Here is the inside of the cistern.

photo-1.jpg

I have tried lowering and raising the water level using the grey 'cross head screw' at the top left which raises and lowers the 'rectangular' white box on the left. Doing either of these and the water keeps dripping.

I'm not sure what to do now, but it must be wasting a lot of water. Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot

It will be the flush valve causing the problem. Muck on the seating or wear. Turn the water off, flush it and it should twist and pull out for you to have a look at.

As Mike says take it out and check the seat in the cistern is clear of any debris and no build up on it. Check the rubber washer is OK and you may also be able to take it off and turn it over - wont last for long but may resolve the issue until you can source a new flush valve.

As the guys say, it wil be the rubber sealing washer that has "failed"

This type of mechanisim simply lifts the central tube off the rubber seat allowing water to "flow down" to the cistern. Another version of a flapper valve.

The rubber seal, over time, either gets a build up of slime (remove clean put back, see what happens), it perishes, take it off see if it crumbles or leaves a black smear on your hands (get a new one replace), it deforms, take it off have a look feel it for distortion, replace if necessary or as resolute says flip it over, this may work.

The real solution is to simply replace the rubber seal/washer, then the real trick is to identify what flush you have, I recognise this one but dont know who makes it, a good local stockist could tell you, then get the replacement, should only cost a matter of a pound or so.

I wish manufacturers would make identifying their products in this situation much easier, and then provide replacement parts for the components that fail (like this) Armitage Shanks do, its part number SV01967, they tell you this on a leaflet, in their packaging when you have already purchased a new flush valve and taken it out of the packet!!!!!!

But if you know this then you wil look good by giving the customer a replacement part for a fraction of the cost it would take to fit a new flush valve, but then how many fitters would replace a washer at a charge of the call out verses earning an hours labour plus parts to fit a whole new flush valve at £15-20 (plus profit)?

Hope this helps

Russ

But if you know this then you wil look good by giving the customer a replacement part for a fraction of the cost it would take to fit a new flush valve, but then how many fitters would replace a washer at a charge of the call out verses earning an hours labour plus parts to fit a whole new flush valve at £15-20 (plus profit)?

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...cistern-constantly-filling.html#ixzz2ONr7Rodp

By the time you have identified the make & model, ordered it from online & then a second visit to change, it would probs be quicker & cheaper to replace with a modern Fluidmaster equivalent in the van!

I often order specific washers if I don't want to have to split the cistern etc, & cause more hassle than its worth!

The rubber seal on this type of flush valve very often gets tiny bubbles in it. If so, you need patience and a pin to pop them.

cheaper to repace with fluidmaster fm van rather than waste time sourcing specific washer despite what others may say, one visit done and quality part in wc

Nabis flush valves are interchangeable so it's just a case twisting it apart and replacing the top section and button, 2 min

You can try www.lunns.net which have pics of all the flush valves, and seals they can get hold of, then source from elsewhere as they are expensive. Looking at state of bolts in bottom, and the fact there is no screw in back of cistern (prob siliconed) I would replace top section of flush valve.

Looks to me you have the siamp optima 49 dual flush and a rubbish siamp fill vvalve just replace the the siphon by twisting of and replace with siamp optima 50
cable operated (water isolated) the fill valves don't last long but that's not the problem there about £20 but repair takes about 2mins

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all the replies, really appreciate it! Most of what you have said though might as well have been in Chinese! I'll turn the water off, and flush the toilet. How do I then get access to this seal? is it on the part on the right? I'll give it a twist to see if I can get it off, but I dont want to get it off and not back on again and then not be able to put the water back on on the house!

EDIT:

Right guys,

did what I said, I managed just to twist the whole thing on the right off. The rubber washer didn;t look in too bad shape, gave it a clean etc and put it back on. Water back on and toilet filled up but it's still dripping. It is a Siamp part, it says on it. Can you guys link me to or point me in the right direction of a replacement that I could fit?

I just googled and found a [FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Siamp 32500007 Optima 50 D/f Cab Out Vlv[/FONT] will this just easily replace the part I just removed from the cistern? £16.38 delivered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right,

I have taken it apart again, and it's leaking between the part shown and the ceramic toilet itself. no water is going down that hole which is visible now,on which the flush valve site, at the moment, and I can still see it dripping.

I can turn the part through 90 degrees to the left but no further and its back tight now in the position in the picture and its still dripping. What do I need to do to either tighten this or replace this?

Thanks again

EDIT: it wont let me post the picture, too many url's apparently?!

It's basically the white fastening the flush valve twists into which is somehow attached to the cistern!

Yes mate this will fit and replace your worn optima 49. To fit your New optima 50 cable operated dual fflush isolate water ,flush, twist off insert new part now unscrew old push btn on cistern lid and fit new push btn connect cable turn water back on and try flush there is a video on you tube if your stuck
2 mins tops guide luck

If its the bottom of the flush clave that's letting by then you need to take the whole cistern off.

Might be worth calling in a plumber to check it out.

Just found some instructions on the Siamp site. As you say it looks like it needs to come off the wall! I might give it a bash tomorrow after work. Looks like 1 screw holding cistern onto wall and 2 screws holding cistern onto toilet. Plus the water pipe to unscrew. I'll just tighten that part. If it's still leaking I'll just buy a new optima 50 as recommended. Where is best to buy from, will B&Q do it so I can just go get one rather than having to wait for delivery?

Anything that wont be as easy as I think in taking it all apart?

Thanks again

Trust me I fit bout 3 a week don't do nothing till it arrives as the optima 50 comes with donut washer and cistern bolts so do what I said when it arrives if it is still leaking the parts are there to replace

Cheers Wiggers,

I think its the part under the flush valve that is leaking though. Its leaking through what looks to be a foam seal. I think the seal between this part and the flush valve is OK though.

Right, I'll order the optima 50 and give it a bash when it arrives! Will let you know how I go. Thanks again

Thanks a lot guys,

Just spend 30 mins taking the cistern off the wall and replacing the flush valve with an optima 50. It wasn't the original valve that was at fault, it was the foam seal on the cistern on both sides. They hadn;t been aligned properly and was allowing the water through.

All replaced and back together and no dripping water!

Again,

Thanks for the help!

Easy mate, at least you've better parts inside and should be another couple of trouble free years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Thank for coming back. Really appreciate you...
Replies
Views
I would take a look inside the cistern, make...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Alright then. Thank you Ben-gee for your...
Replies
Views
Okay I’ll give it a try, thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
Back