Toilet feed leaking | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet feed leaking in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 15mm pipe that goes into the bottom of my toilet cistern keeps leaking. The part that's leaking is where the metal fitting screws onto the plastic pipe that comes from the toilet. I have just renewed the washer that seats in the fitting and tightened up, turned on the mains and it's still leaking. I didn't wrap ptfe tape on the thread cause homebase didn't have none but didn't think I'd need it with a new washer. Any suggestion would be good. thanks

Have you cross threaded it?

The plastic can sometimes become brittle and crack, also look to see if the plastic tail is completely flat where the fibre washer touches. It could also be running down the threads from where it goes through the cistern if youve moved it whilst tightening..

I doubt it is that but yes. More than likely the plastic float valve tail.

I can definitely see water coming out of the tap connector when I turn the water back on so no it's not running down the threads. Perhaps some ptfe round the plastic tomorrow when I speak to the plumbers at work :smile:thanks.

Putting anything on the plastic wont stop it. Its the fibre washer that creates the seal. if its compressed properly on a sound flat tail with good threads for the nut to tighten onto it wont leak.

Ptfe tape might do the trick, I've even had one or two of these where I've had to put two fibre washers in the connector as first one has become so compressed on the first attempt of tightening. Hope it all works out though.

Probably, id buy one with a brass tail, theres loads on the market and a lot less hassle than the plastic ones.Ya might want to replace the tap connecter as well. all angles covered.:smile:

get one of these.never had problem. lttrb7821.jpg (sorry for such a big pic) :32:

Changed the cistern ball valve as well as the tap connector and hey presto no leaks. Thanks for the replies everyone :sweatdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

ah mb then
Replies
Views
S
Pull the screw up whilst you untighten it.
Replies
Views
When you say 'cleaned the bottom of the tank'...
Replies
Views
Great, thanks for the reply!
Replies
Views
Hve you tried pulling the large chrome part...
Replies
Views
Back