Toilet flush not working | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet flush not working in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lorlinley

I have an old toilet with a siphon cistern. Recently had to replace the hook from the siphon to the handle as it was corroded.
Now the toilet flushes but the water just fills up to top of the pan and swirls around goes down but paper remains. Seems there is no pull through.
I have plunged the u bend to see is there is a blockage. I have tried moving the hook a little higher (also small black runner washer under the hook seems to have perished so wonder if that would make the difference) still the same issue the paper does not go away.
Does it need a new siphon? can anyone help with what it might be please?

If it is flushing syphon working ok,would continue down the plunging route, as fault mosty likely caused by a blockage.Do not be shy,give it a really good vigerous plung.do not do it,with one hand behind your back like you are poking a stone,thinking a spiner is under it !!
;)

If water's not draining from the pan you have a blockage in the drain/sewer.

The water is draining from the pan but it fills up almost to the top of the pan first and then drains away but with no force so does not pull any paper with it?
Would that indicate a partial blockage?

check the manhole outside to see youve got a flow away, you might be unpleasantly suprised to find it full of poo etc and needs rodding further down

Ok will check tomorrow in the daylight does not sound promising!! Thanks for your help.

Hi checked manhole and that is clear have rodded the manhole and the toilet as best I can. Still no improvement. Could the siphon need replacing?

seems as though there is no vent something seems to be blocked

If it is a syphonic then probably just the rubber washer that has stuck or is perished on the aspirator......did one not so long back and only place i found a replacement part was on toolstation website look for SYVAC ASPIRATOR .....thats if its a syphonic toilet in the first place, does the pan empty completely then fill back up? The Aspirator sits in the bottom of the syphon where it enters the pan if you take off the cistern to have a look.........The symptoms you have described are similar to a knackered aspirator washer!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
follow msw109's advice then, as he said the washer will probably of perished, its the one on the end of the white tube coming off the bottom of the syphon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Or raise the cistern
Replies
Views
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
R
There are a few things that could be causing...
Replies
Views
Back