Toilet Flush Valve repurpose? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Flush Valve repurpose? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rufe0

Hi all

I need a fast draining self acting valve for an aquarium thing I'm doing, but no need togo into the details really. I know how I could make one DIY style however the perfect device already exists in a normal toilet flush, so it would be really handy if I could just use one off the shelf.

2 things you can help me out with;
Firstly it needs to be completely 100% 'food safe', no chemical leaching etc, and preferably use 100% non-biodegradable seals. It will be cycling all day everyday with constant water flow, with dirty and biologically active water. I think any normal rubber seal would degrade pretty quickly and I can't have bits floating off to dissolve later or clog filters, is there an off-the-shelf brand or whatever with these qualities?

Secondly I need to set it up so it automatically cycles continuously. I'm thinking just using a float to pull the flush valve upwards when high enough water is reached. Will this work?

The water will contain dissolved solids which could build up around the valve area, but I'm hoping it wouldn't affect the seal too much to where it would need cleaning regularly, easily cleanable would be handy. Built in overflow would be a bonus. It only needs to be single flush not dual flush.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Germination.

Aquaponics actually. You grow fish in an aquarium and pump the fish poo round the plants hydroponics style, the bacteria that builds up turns the fish poo into plant food, plants eat it and the fish get clean water back.

I know sorry.....Dont think many PLUMBING fittings would be suitable for fish.ie food grade...

It sounds like you need an autosyphon of the sort used to feed urinals. Dunno about the non-biodegradable seals though.

OK thanks guys, yeah i'm coming round to the autosiphon idea now, I had originally thought they would have reliability problems but I think I can make it work now.

You would have problems with standard toilet fittings, they don't like bits in the water. See it all the time on spring and bore hole supplies when the cust doesn't change the filters as often as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you very much. I had it round the other...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
I recently moved into a new flat and both...
Replies
Views
I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
Email these guys...
Replies
Views
Back