Toilet Help! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Help! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Resolute

Hi folks, on a job trying to get a toilet repaired for a customer. But I can't get the inlet to stop leaking - must've had the cistern off 10 times now!

Tried about 3 fibre washers and no luck!

In Bracknell if anyone is free to lend a hand?!

if its plastic the thread is stripped or cracked, change the ball valve, quicker than typing this post

As above, if plastic sounds like you've crossed threaded it. Fit a new valve, cut pipe back and fit a flexy, that will be easier for you to connect with if your having trouble with the t.c.

It's a nightmare! Replaced fill valve and still have a weep!

Haven't got much room to cut the pipe back either at the moment.

Thinking of covering the nut with LSX!

Grrr - poor you - I know the feeling.

If that was my job I'd replace the fitting and/or cut the pipe back and start again.

I find a smoke and a swear at this point works a treat!:bomb2:

Back home, absolute nightmare. Toilet was old and horrible, cracked where cistern meets the pan and leaks when flushed. I've advised them to replace.

They want a new bathroom and ensuite done so don't want to spend the money before that's all done (understandable). But that won't be until Jan. said I'd give a price on a cheap close couple - if they go for that then I'll cut the pipe back when the old ones out.

Anyway, 5.5 hours plus driving time to fix a bloody syphon! After parts and diesel I think I've got a tenner left to show for it!

Have seen valves leaking at bottom because of a near invisible crack. I use valves with brass tails now.I would advise any plumber going to a syphon or ball valve problem to take loads new parts with them. Ball valves or the newer type fill valves are cheap so if they look really old I would replace. I carry a box of mixed syphon washers & a heavy piece of polythene in case I need to make a syphon washer. Those 2 piece syphons make sense, as u don't need to remove the cistern to change washer. Also need flush handles & different sizes handle links & all types domed rubber or foam washers & metal plates & bolts. Basically a van load! But beats driving miles.

Last edited:
I must make sure I carry more parts, nearly picked up a fill valve this morn but thought I wouldn't need one!

Trouble is, there are so many issues with cisterns. They must be one of the biggest " small" jobs to fix in plumbing. Only second to changing ancient bath taps! Some of the slim fill valves that u would think should fit anywhere, don't, as the syphon is too close, or valve is too tight in corner of cistern. If it is a job near to you, then better to have a look first in case u want to get parts that suit.

Oh well, lessons learnt today!

The more I do, the more of a novice I feel like! Still have so much to learn in this game!

Oh well, lessons learnt today!

The more I do, the more of a novice I feel like! Still have so much to learn in this game!
We all get a day that we feel we approached wrong. Those, - remove cistern syphon jobs can take anything from half an hour to half a day. Just hope that you get some decent work from the people.

We all get a day that we feel we approached wrong. Those, - remove cistern syphon jobs can take anything from half an hour to half a day. Just hope that you get some decent work from the people.

Cheers, the work they're after having done is beyond my capabilities but I've asked a mate to take a look at it and if he does the work then I'll work with him hopefully!

Nothing worse than jobs like this, toilet always installed by a cowboy with a pipework slanted to hell and wraped in hemp on tap connector.

You think you cracked it, you pack up, put tools in van, prepare invoice, get paid and then go upstairs to double check.

You are greeted by water running down the pipe, you loose your temper, rip the cistern off the wall, slam it in the bath and do a runner.

:hanged:

That's right Phil, you go to a cistern that's screwed to wall with rusted screws, tight to bare wall & tiled in, bolts & everything rusted solid, overflow about 2 inches out of line, copper pipe out of shape, plastic, yellowed with age, ball valve joined with Boss White that destroys the plastic, no service valve so you get into roofspace & find you can't hardly get near the storage tank & the stopcock is seized solid. But the customer says it's just a wee job as somebody told them it just needs a 5 pence washer .......!

Last edited:
I'm on c&g course at the moment so all this info is great - I know I'll probably just be od-jobbing when I've completed the course so all the small jobs advice is great. - the heavy polythene idea for making diaphragms is right, second week in college I asked the tutor to go over syphons with us.
I went home and made one out of a plastic tesco milk carton

Missus was well impressed - brownie points and rewards :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately some new build plumbing is not...
Replies
Views
P
“Our builder” - I found your problem. I...
Replies
Views
B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
Back