Toilet Inlet valve | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Inlet valve in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

typer_owner

Hi all
forgive me if im in the wrong section as plumbing questions was private

I need to replace my toilet inlet valve which seems straight forward. One i have currently has a bulcock attatched and seen a like for like at screwfix

In wicks they dont have these ones and are more compact. Can someone tell me if any valve would be sutible or if i defently need like for like

Cheers

James

just swap like for like , or the compact ones fit most cisterns anyway.

Cheers

1 more thing. Do i really need to replace? problem i have is taken forever to fill up

would it just need adjusting?

i tried fiddling with it but just made a wining noise when moving it

i did find a bit of brown tape loosly on the bulcock plastic arm but wasnt doing anything not sure if this means anything ie second hand part

Make sure you can quickly isolate the supply before you start 'fiddling' with it.

The whining noise make me think that it's under mains pressure, and if you break it, you'll have a lot of water on your hands.

If the cistern is filled via the mains, then yes it should fill quickly, if however it's gravity supplied, it could take around a minute to fill.

Finally - you should be able tyo change it to a 'torbec' or similar valve, but a photo of what you've got would help. If you do go down this route, you will be supplied with two spiral inserts that go in the valve itself. The tighter spiral is for mains pressure, and the other for gravity. It's pretty obvious why, but make sure you know your set up and fit the right part.

Oh and adjusting it, probably won't help with the time it takes to fill. So don't pull it around too much.

Good luck.

Make sure you can quickly isolate the supply before you start 'fiddling' with it.

The whining noise make me think that it's under mains pressure, and if you break it, you'll have a lot of water on your hands.

If the cistern is filled via the mains, then yes it should fill quickly, if however it's gravity supplied, it could take around a minute to fill.

Finally - you should be able tyo change it to a 'torbec' or similar valve, but a photo of what you've got would help. If you do go down this route, you will be supplied with two spiral inserts that go in the valve itself. The tighter spiral is for mains pressure, and the other for gravity. It's pretty obvious why, but make sure you know your set up and fit the right part.

Oh and adjusting it, probably won't help with the time it takes to fill. So don't pull it around too much.

Good luck.

Best forum ever! lol.. It was a torpec i was going for. Ill get a picture this afternoon with my current setup. Extra thing to think about. if i turn off the water supply to the toilet and flush there is still lots of water left which will take a while to soak up?

Last edited by a moderator:
buy a fluid master pro bottom valve from screw fix they are silent and last for ages you can also get em from the bigger b&Q they fit almost all cisterns

Yeah it's normal for there to be some water in trapped in the pipework. We call this situation a 'dead leg'. Most pros use a wet vac, you'll have to use a few towels and sponges and rinse out in toilet pan. There shouldn't be too much water. Make sure you have complete isolation before you undo any joints.

buy a fluid master pro bottom valve from screw fix they are silent and last for ages you can also get em from the bigger b&Q they fit almost all cisterns

True, these are good. Unlike the torbec valve they have a brass connection, which is good, as someone without experience can cross thread a plastic connection and damage it. It will then leak!!

They work in a slightly different way, the float that controls the water, is not on an arm but part of the valve itself.

Last edited:
Just orderd the fluidmaster pro online as couldnt get it in a store!
when i was talking about water left in tank im talking depth of a few inches not easy soaked up by water. gona try a mug or something to get rid of the water before i do this

Ok thanks for all the advise so far. I have succesfully installed the new fluidmaster pro. Already came today!

Howeveri have a leak and it dosent seem to be comig from my work it seems to be coming from the plastic joint just below the water supply tap

I think its coming from there anyway. Its only a trikle at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry for the late post on this but just...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
I recently moved into a new flat and both...
Replies
Views
Got it. Thank you for the reply.
Replies
Views
Back