Toilet leak (again) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet leak (again) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hello Friends

So, I asked advice before in a leaky toilet. It's leaking from between the pan & cistern.

Fixed it 4 weeks ago, all ok, no leaks.

Just received a call, dripping again. Small drip but a drip.

It never drips while I am there or immediately after the fix but 3/4/5 weeks later.

I've replaced the donut washer, Sillicone, washers tight, washers loose, no Sillicone, cleaned all scale and old silicone off until clean as new.

Any ideas? They want me to go again, is it a new toilet? Just a small drip once a day!

Please help me!!

Thanks

Rct

cracked? condensation? one of them two if youve done everything else marra

Yes, tried everything I know and advice from friends here.

I thinks its a replacement.

Thanks for your reply

Rct

rocket is it the type with the metal plate for the bolts to go in or is it the type with bolts that go right through the cistern?

It's a ideal standard, with the big round washer and a metal plate.

Done quite a few of them and never used Sillicone other than on this one.

Just a drip a day.

What do you think Steveb?

Thanks for replying

Rct

i had problems with one a while ago, after the third visit i put a ring of silicone round where the donut sits and no call backs as yet

I had the same problem with a ideal standard, sent me crazy took the toilet out 3 times, in the end I just silicones it and left.
bad day that day.

Seriously?!? Some customers!! One drip a day & they just happen to notice it!!

Got to be worth a squirt of silicone as Steve says.

Any call back after that & tell them the men of the house need to learn to aim!!

I've tried it without Sillicone, a bit of Sillicone and then a lot of Sillicone.

The seal on the latter two last 3/4/5 weeks then drip.

but why weren't they dripping before?

is it that they are designed for use with a limited flow rate syphon? i think in future the answer is re-use same syphon, just cut a new diapraghm.

or if it's wasting too much time...alternatively try this line:

'i feel i've done all i can with this one and it might benefit from a fresh pair of eyes that might see something i haven't. i'm happy to do a no fix no fee on this and give your money back and can recommend a local company with some more experienced plumbers than myself.'

nobody can argue against that. and if the custard is having you back again and again they prob won't use in future once fixed anyway

I doubt it Tom. They're tenants.

Do t give a monkeys and complain all the time.

I'll try once more but am not confident.

Why does i last 3/4/5 weeks then leak? That's the mystery as I make sure the tenant sees no leaks and is happy.

Is the pan secure to the floor? If it's not tight and the occupants are of the larger size then it might be causing some movement.

Also is the cistern secured to the wall? Again I've seen it where the bolts are pulling the cistern away from the pan so it doesn't sit straight.

Where abouts is the job?

Annoying when tenants abuse the property they live in.

Fitted 2 bathrooms in a property the other week, one before the other so they weren't without a bathroom but they still insisted on using the first before it was finished & it was filthy.

As above, is it all fixed back/down properly? Anything special happen before/after it leaks?

Is the floor ok - given all the leaking the floor might have gone - close coupled bogs are a nightmare we should know looking after 2/3 1000 for Peverill CHK
Is the pan secure to the floor? If it's not tight and the occupants are of the larger size then it might be causing some movement.

Also is the cistern secured to the wall? Again I've seen it where the bolts are pulling the cistern away from the pan so it doesn't sit straight.

Where abouts is the job?

use plumber's gold instead of ordinary silicone, it seals even underwater

Thanks all. I'll go again but that's it for me.

Sillicone, plumbers gold and mate.

The floor is good and it's secured bottom and at the cistern.

It just baffles my why it takes a few weeks to leak again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Seal all the way round the pan in my opinion
Replies
Views
I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
That's brilliant mate, thank you. I didn't see...
Replies
Views
When you say 'cleaned the bottom of the tank'...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Back