toilet not flushing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss toilet not flushing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lightfoot

Fitted a brand new toilet last july on ground floor of house,and initially the new toilet would not flush so i assumed the diaphragm on the syphon was at fault, and changed it for another one. This is a close coupled toilet by the way. Again it would not flush so after a lot of head scratching i went out to investigate. Directly outside the other side of the wall to the toilet was a short vertical rise of soil pipe about a metre tall with a cap screwed on the top of it, and when i removed it i could feel a whoosh of air and see the water being taken away down the drain pipe. The toilet flushed like a dream after that. I screwed the cap back on and drilled a small hole thinking the problem was due to lack of ventilation.
Now months later the toilet wont flush again. Surely the diaphragm on the syphon couldnt be perished already. They have an upstairs toilet that wastes into a seperate soil stack, and this one flushes fine. There is no blockage on the problem toilet as it is not backing up. Any ideas?

Take the soil stack above the eaves and leave open with a bird cowl on top, else an air admittance valve on the top of the short soil stack you describe.

Thks for getting back. i thought an air admittance valve was only meant for inside the house, and not outside. will try one anyway as i havent got the ladders to extend soil stack to the eaves as the house is a 3 storey mansion.

cant see how the soil stack can stop the flush do you men the pan wouldnt empty after flushing?

AAV will work just as well outside but outside should have a full soil stack instead.

I assumed you meant the water won't go away. If it's the actual syphon and the water won't fill the bowl, ignore my suggestions. However the stack shouldn't just be capped off.

Last edited:
you can buy an AAV for external use only.. they are about £25.00 (about £15 more expensive than the internal AAV.

I guess the ones my supplier does must be the external ones as these are the only ones stocked, and at £22 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Any ideas on the a decent flush to wall close...
Replies
Views
Back