Toilet overflow connector question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet overflow connector question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, I am a DIYer hoping for some help! I am wanting to connect a toilet overflow to a copper 22mm pipe instead of plastic pipe - question is, what connection do I use to connect the 22mm copper pipe to the toilet? I looked at a brass tank connector but the overall thread diameter is approx 30mm and the hole in the top of the toilet cistern is closer to 25mm. Can anyone suggest a suitable fitting? Or if using a standard plastic toilet overflow connector, how would I connect this to a copper 22mm pipe? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your helpful reply - I suspect that will cover my one toilet (approx 6-8 years old that doesn't appear to have had an overflow connected to it in the past - any clues as to how I check if it has an integral overflow that goes back into the pan?). The other toilet I am installing is a vintage model (1940s!) and I thought a copper pipe would look the part - any ideas on how to connect a copper overflow pipe to this would be appreciated.

Hold the ball valve down does the water flow into the pan when it's about level with the top of the flush valve

any clues as to how I check if it has an integral overflow that goes back into the pan?).

Also worth checking if you're doing this that there is a reasonable air gap between the fill valve and the water level when overflowing so as to protect the mains against the risk of back contamination under conditions of multiple faults (i.e. water level creeps up for whatever reason and then mains pressure falls).

If you are using an old-fashioned BS1212 part 1,2, or 3 valve, or a Torbeck (look them up), you can check there is an air gap between the valve 'spout' and the water. With some of the the weirder modern valves it's a bit less obvious, but so long as they are installed as per manufacturer's instructions, then they should be fine.

Similar plumbing topics

You could try a long flexi and make it a wider...
Replies
Views
Thank you - very helpful! The old WC is long...
Replies
Views
Nope to silicon / putty I do it dry just...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Got it. Thank you for the reply.
Replies
Views
Back