Toilet parts/workings help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet parts/workings help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Micky819

I changed the syphon on my toilet a while ago when the diaphragm split. The syphon I got is a 2 part one that allows access to the diaphragm without removing the cistern. The toilet has a side paddle type handle that only has one hole to link to the flush mechanism. Because of this it seemed to be pulling the diaphragm frame(not sure what this is called) at an angle and would not flush when pushing the handle once, it had to be pumped twice. Probably due to this the frame thingy that the diaphragm sits on (that attaches to the handle) has broken. I have two questions on this.
1. Are these available as spares, I only seem to be able to find the actual diaphragms.
2. How can I prevent in the future? The siphon seems to be sat in the same place and of the same size as the old one so don't know why this is happening.

Help will be much appreciated.

Hi Micky and welcome...I think you needed to fit a universal lift arm to your new syphon it has more holes to allow adjustment also there is a brass arm type that allows you to slide the bar through until it is where you need it to be before you lock it in place with the locking screw pop along to your local merchants and see what he has got to help you.....as for the plunger section I think you will have to buy a new syphon...best of luck Turnpin:eek:

image.jpg
Thanks guys

Ive attached a picture of the paddle handle. This just seems to sit in the hole at the side of the cistern and is only held in place by the hook to the plunger section. Could this having free movement be causing it? Also is it worth changing to a flush valve. As the cistern is quite cramped. See picture below. If so is this any more difficult than changing the syphon?

image.jpg

Hi thanks for the replies.

I've attached a picture of the cistern and the paddle handle. The handle only seems to be held in place by the hook from the plunger, so could this be the cause? Also as the cistern is quite cramped is it worth changing to a flush valve? If so is this any more difficult than changing a siphon?
image.jpg
image.jpg

As you have a side handle, I has only one hole. Can you remove the lever and drill some more holes so it pulls the syphon in a straight line. (Or as close to straight)?

All handles pull the syphon frame rod at an angle ( the handle moves in an arc shape ).
Maybe a different length of the stainless steel link wire would help? You can buy these in different lengths.
You could have also got a syphon to match the shape & height perhaps of the original.
The handle fixed hole does limit you, but may not be an issue, although the fact you replaced the original syphon probably has caused you problems & that's why I tend to just use a new syphon washer (or cut a new one) on otherwise perfectly good original syphons.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your pictures but I don't see any reason why you can't replace the lever operated valve with a push button valve such as the Fluidmaster pro550.

It would save you having to mess about with different fittings in the hope you find one that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Apologies for leaving it so late to reply to...
Replies
Views
Fluidmaster link
Replies
Views
Thank you mate, really appreciated that. I...
Replies
Views
That's brilliant mate, thank you. I didn't see...
Replies
Views
R
Following as I came here to ask the exact same...
Replies
Views
Laurie1987
L
Back