Toilet Replacement - What should I do next with flange? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Replacement - What should I do next with flange? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waherne

Hi all,

Doing a bit of restoration work. I am in the process of replacing the entire toilet unit.

The outlet pipe goes into the ground and is surrounded by this large hard ring (appears to be as hard as concrete) - see image.

Would really appreciate some advice on what to do with it. Do I leave as is and insert the new plastic toilet connect pipe into it? Or do I remove it in its entirity and then insert the connect pipe? This hard ring is very ugly looking.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

William

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67
That hard ring is a salt glazed clay drain. Cut it off flush with the floor.

Put a cloth or something down it before you start cutting it off to stop any crap (pardon the pun) dropping down the drain.

Thanks for replying so quickly and identifying what it is and what I should do.

Once I cut it flush with the floor, is there a need to put in a pvc or iron flange or do I leave as is?

Also, for my general knowledge, why was such a product used in the past?

Thanks again.

Leave as is, angled or swan neck pan connector into it.

Product was used in the days when things where made to last.

Leave as is, angled or swan neck pan connector into it.

Thanks. Are all brands of connector the same or should I seek out one in particular? or is the cheapest as good as the most expensive?

McAlpine or Wirquin for me. All depends on the wc are fitting as to what actual type you will need.

Me again. These are a few photos to show work in progress.

The salt clay drain head was easy enough to angle grind/hammer away albeit the dust was severe.

Drilling the porcelain tiles was hard work, took one hour for each hole. Built a little reservoir of water to keep the drill bit cool.

Pan screws go in at an angle so drilled into some timber first and used this as a guide for the correct angle.

Put silicon bead around the screws also and then capped.

Toilet pan in place now and bead of antifungal silicon around the base.

Must fill the little gap between the swan neck pan connector and the clay drain head. Any suggestions on what's best to use?

The instructions say that the cistern is to be 62cm above the floor. It's a top flush and lid will be at 93. The flush connector pipe is long enough to have the cistern at a higher level. Would you recommend and would the extra height and gravity provide a better flush?

Uploaded some photos - hopefully will be helpful to someone else at some stage.

Many thanks,

William

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
very neatly cut. i find that a slower speed with the drill cuts easier if you get hard tiles again.

higher the cysten better the flush cant see how far the tail of the pan con goes into the drain if its barely in id use sand and cement and form a fillet found the pan con if its in more than an inch id use the rubber that should have come with it

Does the wife know what you've been doing with her curtains ? :shocked3:

(nice job by the way)

whats realy annoying is ivegot one of those swan necked connectors in my van and ive had it 8 years mininmum and ive never found a job it will work on its been out of the van regularly and then back in think its cos i seldom use ll toilets now always cc now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
Hello all. I am totally new to this, so any...
Replies
Views
Nate n
N
Fluidmaster link
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for...
Replies
Views
Back