Toilet seat sliding horizontally - anyone used silicone on the fixings? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet seat sliding horizontally - anyone used silicone on the fixings? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DistantHillsBB

Hello

Bought quite a nice soft closing toilet seat from B&Q which seemed to attach fairly securely initially but after a couple of weeks its sliding left and right. I cannot get the plastic wing nuts to tighten any further so was wondering whether I should remove the seat, apply some silicone under the plastic disc fittings on the top of the pan to give them some grip and then retighten underneath.
Its one of these low profile seats so its not about shaping the lugs/pads at the front I think because then the seat would not be horizontal on the back to front line.

Some toilet seats are just tat mate, having said that you should expect more than 2 weeks before doing the cludgy shuffle.
Plastic wingnuts are crap though....
Is there not screws under the caps of the hinges that fix it stationary?

Without being rude are you sure you used all the parts supplied?

I look after a engineering factory and most of the lads are animals and seem to deliberately mess with the toilet seats, the last lot I fitted came with a double sided sticky pad to go between the seat and the pan, as well as the plastic bolt. strangely they haven't moved. Maybe worth you looking out for some pads, hopefully they may be available

Without being rude are you sure you used all the parts supplied?

Yes used all the parts.
The toilet is from teh 80's hence and from experience the fixings now seem to differ from back then. The holes on the toilet are quite large so really there is only friction to stop the seat from moving around

Were the fiitings Rubber washer > Metal washer > Plastic nut? or I have seen a dome piece of plastic that is supposed to fit in to the large hole first that you mentioned, either way I agree the fixings aren`t as good as in the past.

Best bog seat I've ever bought was a piece of plastic crap from Woolworths some ten year plus ago.
Still using it, and it too does the horizontal shuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
My stunt double chucked it in. Mumbled...
Replies
Views
Guest123
G
Back