toilet seat | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss toilet seat in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does one change the toilet seat on one of these back to the wall pan and is it possible to pad lock a 3 geared griffter to a torbeck with the float removed ?

The seat comes with a kind of Rawl plug or toggle spring affair so its all done from the top. Dont drop anything down the hole though or you have to pull the pan out.

i agree quicker to change if pan taken out than if left in situ

If you cant take the pan out (most are siliconed as well as screwed down) drill out the rod and bolt and use a toggle bolt to fix the seat down. Only takes about 10 minutes this way. Put some silicone on the hinge as a extra secure precaution. Taking the pan out means you're disturbing the flush pipe seal and cone and can open up a can of worms especially if there is a existing leak from there or the pan connector.

Alternativley, hammer a 3/4 dowl doen the rod hole with silicone and screw the hinge down with a long slim 2" screw.

Wall hung are worse!

Last edited by a moderator:
eh, if there is a problem fix it silicone is a sealant not a cure all, putting a drill near the pan will end in tears

eh, if there is a problem fix it silicone is a sealant not a cure all, putting a drill near the pan will end in tears
I rarely use silicone for much, but in situations like this it has its uses. Why not use a drill? Have done a great many this way for years without any problems. Use a HSS 1/4" drill bit with the drill set on slow speed and it will be just fine. Moreso if the rod is a plastic one not metal.

By the way you can drill right through a pan these days with ease. Our sponsors 365 drills will show you how.

If you cant take the pan out (most are siliconed as well as screwed down) drill out the rod and bolt and use a toggle bolt to fix the seat down. Only takes about 10 minutes this way. Put some silicone on the hinge as a extra secure precaution. Taking the pan out means you're disturbing the flush pipe seal and cone and can open up a can of worms especially if there is a existing leak from there or the pan connector.

Alternativley, hammer a 3/4 dowl doen the rod hole with silicone and screw the hinge down with a long slim 2" screw.

Wall hung are worse!
good advice,, my old boss always told me never remove pan from cistern,wall etc, for the reasons you've stated and i totally agree,i like the toggle bolt idea...thanks

how does one change the toilet seat on one of these back to the wall pan and is it possible to pad lock a 3 geared griffter to a torbeck with the float removed ?

You can get seats with 'top fixing' hinges but they're a bit pricey (but good).

As for the Grifter question, lol, no. Not possible.

A Striker or a Boxer, yes! But not a grifter.

^^^Agreed^^^ Top fixing hinged seats are best for this.

Some fairly decent quality ones on BES for not a lot of cash (part numbers 14568 - 14571) - Available in white or black.

The "wellnuts" type of expanding bolt fixings are spot on too. P/N 17054. Cost about a fiver but save tons of time faffing around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Pop the chrome bezel off if you see where the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your post, can anyone offer any advice?
Replies
Views
You will see to holes at the back one each...
Replies
Views
Either buy the correct one at the higher cost...
Replies
Views
A
Is it the type with 2 grub screws that wind in...
Replies
Views
Back