Toilet syphon completely foxing me! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet syphon completely foxing me! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
My customer had a broken diaphragm on a syphon that operates with a handle at the front of the cistern. Instead of replacing the plastic part he changed the entire syphon - 3 times - but the same thing keeps happening. When you pull up on the wire the syphon works but it doesn't dump the water from the cistern. Instead it just trickles out like a newer syphon that overflows into the pan until the water has been used, then it stops and refills fine.

For the life of me I can't work out why the syphon only works to a certain extent. One thing I've noticed is that when you flush water comes out of the rod housing (the rod on the diaphragm pull) and I think this should go down the syphon - but this has happened on all 3 new syphons.

Any takers?! Hopefully it's just me having a long day and overlooking something obvious.

Check outlet on siphon could be blocked and check that the plastic cap is inserted which converts from 6L flush to a 9L flush. But my guess would be that the actual siphon has a blockage or the outlet on the pan where the siphon sits through (where your doughnut sits)

If the syphon has been changed then changed again it's unlikely to be faulty, if the first one failed because the diaphragm was damaged it's likely that there is a piece inside the pan, take the cistern off and pour water into the pan at the doughnut, if it's clear it will pour round the rim like a flush, if it backs up it's blocked, sometimes pouring the water in here dislodges the bit of diaphragm (or lid from bic type razor) you might need to poke around in it to dislodge the blockage

I had a similar problem, replaced a siphon but it wouldn't flush properly. On the end of the old siphon was something that appeared to be redundant. Turned out it was along the lines of a dip tube which helped the water flow into the bowl. Can't remember the exact name but solved the problem. Could be an idea

I had a similar problem, replaced a siphon but it wouldn't flush properly. On the end of the old siphon was something that appeared to be redundant. Turned out it was along the lines of a dip tube which helped the water flow into the bowl. Can't remember the exact name but solved the problem. Could be an idea

Not at all redundant......it was a syphonic aspirator which is needed to clear the bowl properly.

I've found siphonic toilets back up when flushed and not replaced properly, not empty cistern slowly IMO

Customer has replaced the syphon 3 times and probably thrown the old bomb away. It would be really really bad luck to get 3 new syphons all failing, still reckon its a syphonic.

....and the clock is running to see if you can fix it quicker than the last syphonic thread :)

Had toilets before where entry into the pan from cistern is shallow and the flush valve or syphon protrudes to far and limits the spread of fluid. Fix cut down the threaded tube.

I'm replying to everyone - hopefully as I'm not quite sure how this page works yet - just to say thanks for your help with the syphon. It's sorted now and the reason it didn't work was... the pipe and pan were blocked by components of a mobile phone!! Absolutely NO idea how that happened

I'm replying to everyone - hopefully as I'm not quite sure how this page works yet - just to say thanks for your help with the syphon. It's sorted now and the reason it didn't work was... the pipe and pan were blocked by components of a mobile phone!! Absolutely NO idea how that happened

Well I`ve heard of a "Burn phone" but that`s a new one on me!

1/2 point for me with "lid from BIC razor or similar"
Thank you

Its the new internet toilet. You can flush it from anywhere with your mobile :)

Its the new internet toilet. You can flush it from anywhere with your mobile :)

Not quite that simple mr G!

You need the BG hive
BG sanitary appliances annual service contract
BG platinum controls package
BG app and annual subscription for the IT support
And the £5000.00 armature gas loo. With I pad doc and LED illumination

Not quite that simple mr G!

You need the BG hive
BG sanitary appliances annual service contract
BG platinum controls package
BG app and annual subscription for the IT support
And the £5000.00 armature gas loo. With I pad doc and LED illumination
and Kyle has to get first use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Apologies for leaving it so late to reply to...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
1/4" from the bottom of the cistern sounds a...
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Back