Toilet syphon nut split issue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet syphon nut split issue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi
I recently fitted a brand new Macdee syphon into a toilet and 4 weeks later it is broken at the nut which allows it to be serviced.

When pulling the handle to flush the toilet I did notice flex in the unit but not alot. Is this a common issue to happen with newer 2 part (serviceable syphons) as the one it replaced was one whole unit.

Picture attached

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer

Attachments

• Broken toilet syphon.jpg
    Broken toilet syphon.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 34
Was it located in the bottom key way so the force isn’t on the nut ?

Apologies for leaving it so late to reply to the above messages.

I messaged the supplier and got a refund of the syphon unit then purchased the same 10.5" syphon elsewhere and have installed it. This time I made sure to only tighten the coupling (service) nut tight enough so the syphon is functional as with the original I may have torqued it too much by hand.

The flex I originally described when pulling the handle moved the whole syphon at a diagonal and it required usually two pulls of the handle to flush. The handle was also much firmer with no play like there was with the original syphon setup. I do think this was due to the setup of the c link and arm as it was quite angled when I fitted the Macdee syphon. Although saying that the second toilet in the house the c link isn't perfectly straight and movement of the syphon unit occurs.

I've ordered a new toilet handle with a longer arm as the original doesn't stretch out quite far enough towards the syphon piston which the c link hooks onto. I also can't make adjustments to the red arm as too much limescale is on it (tried sanding it off) hence reason for new handle. I've attached 2 photos so you can see what I mean. Hopefully with the new handle and the c link setup more perpendicular there is less strain on the unit and it flushes first time with little force on the handle.

Regards

Attachments

• syphon linkage 1.jpg
    syphon linkage 1.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 25
  • syphon linkage 2.jpg
    syphon linkage 2.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 23

Similar plumbing topics

I would take a look inside the cistern, make...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
S
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Yeh just make sure big brush handy custard...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
Back