Toilet syphon ? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet syphon ? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

I repaired a toilet, job turned into a nightmare, bolts holding the cistern were rusted through, no iso valve etc took an age to sort out.

The problem was the donut washer was leaking and I replaced the syphon because I had no choice, I had damaged it to get the bolts off etc.

Anyway, I replaced it with an Opella Wras approved etc. Whilst there I also replaced the inlet valve with a fluid master. The toilet is about 15 years old and has seen an awful lot of use.

The only thing not replaced was the handle.

The problem is although it flushes it is not perfect, this is the 2nd time this has happened with older toilets.

On both occasions the customer has been happy but I'm not, the handles seem to be a little loose and I can't tighten them.

There are no leaks and is installed correctly, Is the problem the syphon itself? do I need to use a more expensive part? does the age of the toilet have any bearing on the flush? Are the handles an issue?

It cold be that the siphon you put in is slightly higher to the invert which would make it a little harder to flush .. from memory should be about 28mm above the water level .. don't quote me!! anyway try a higher water level if you can.
rgds
TG

Pretty sure mate its all part of the water regs its irrelevant what the cistern will hold litre wise, its what the syphon is able to deliver.

It is the quality of the syphon ...the opella ones that are £4 just do not cut the mustard.they also do one for about £6 (the black one )and they are much better. The handles on old cisterns are also a different size and are always a little loose.

I've found that the length of the C link on the new syphon can affect how well it flushes in an older cistern. I think it's due to the body section on the newer syphons being lower so the link isn't generally long enough. I carry a selection of different length C links and tend swap them to get a better flush

Mark

The "C" links can be made to the exact size by using a brass welding rod

The plastic displacer washers can be cut from an old plastic fertiliser bag, or any heavy duty plastic sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Apologies for leaving it so late to reply to...
Replies
Views
Fluidmaster link
Replies
Views
It is an 'all in one' toilet with a macerator...
Replies
Views
N
Any pictures of the leaking bit ?
Replies
Views
N
Hello all. I am totally new to this, so any...
Replies
Views
Nate n
N
Back