Toilet Vibration | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Vibration in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wo88les

i think i have a problem with my TOILET CISTERN FILLER VALVE, mine vibrates everytime the toilet is flushed,

the problem is, im not a plumber and i need some advice on which part i need, the only thing i really know is that it is a BOTTOM ENTRY CISTERN heres a picture of the filler valve if anyone can help..... Thanks

DSC_0068.jpg

almost certain that you need a new washer in the ball valve and the screw on top should be touching the side of the cisten in the photo it looks short

Thanks for the quick reply mate :D oh also my watermains stopcock doesnt close completely and the water still flows, just with a lot less pressure, so turning the water off completely is going to be a bugger, if i turn the stopcock off and then run all taps in the house, should that drop the pressure enough to change the washer??? also what size washer does it need?? and can i get them from B&Q or would i have to go to the plumb centre in the industrial estate??

Thanks again :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might be better getting a family member round who has done it before

i dont mind doing it myself BOD, im quite mechanically inclined so it should be an easy job :D

just need an idea on the size of washer id need, it would be easier if by the picture someone knew the size, otherwise its a stripdown... size check,,, put back together then of to plumb centre,, back home,,, strip down and repair lol

Thanks again ;)

you need one of these type $(KGrHqRHJFcFBucDo1jZBQnMSf7,q!~~60_12.JPG shouldn't cost too much
nicked the pic off ebay lol

i don't think that is the right one. the sort i posted is the one, you can get them b&q

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/washers___o_rings/-specificproducttype-ballvalve_washers/PlumbSure-Ballvalve-Diaphragm-Washers-Pack-of-2-11478028"]PlumbSure Ballvalve Diaphragm Washers Pack of 2, 0000003894156[/DLMURL] just saw these on b&q website, also the stopcock did actually turn completely off so i quickly stripped it down to have a look, the diaphragm looks exactly like that one, and its gone quite all gooey lol hopefully ill be able to get a pack tomorrow and ill report back to you guys if its still being noisey,,

one last thing, if its not the washer, could it be the whole valve needs replacing, if so could i just replace it with this one, [DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/toilet_fittings/-specificproducttype-ballvalves/Opella-Bottom-Entry-Cistern-Ball-Valve-11477975"]Opella Bottom Entry Cistern Ball Valve, 5011629012638[/DLMURL] or do you recommend a better one????

almost certain that you need a new washer in the ball valve and the screw on top should be touching the side of the cisten in the photo it looks short
just checked the screw, it was about 2mm short, its now touching the cistern edge.. Thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator:
100% the new washer will sort it. it vibrates because the washer pushes out of shape over time and vibrates against the high pressure cone in the valve making a noise like a badly out of tune tuba

making a noise like a badly out of tune tuba

lol... I said to my sister today when the wife went to loo that she was going to practice the trumpet..... when she flushed the loo my sister thought it was her playing a trumpet, then she called me a silly bugger as she worked it out

Thank you for your help and everyone else who has helped,

Take care and have a great christmas

Rob

if your tank fed you can do it by tying the ballvalve up in the main tank and draining down they are dificult to do with any water running as the water pushes the washer out before you can get the front back on i can do it but ive had a fair bit of practice

Its mains fed mate :D got the stopcock to completely close, i just hadnt drained the bit out of the line, got the washers ordered, picking them up tomorrow and will let you know

Thanks again ;)

100% the new washer will sort it. it vibrates because the washer pushes out of shape over time and vibrates against the high pressure cone in the valve making a noise like a badly out of tune tuba

Thanks again steve, fitted the new diaphragm today and you were correct, 100% fixed :D

Classic. Well done matey.

I once replaced every diaphragm on a toilet block in headingley stadium, the whole building sounded like it was going to take off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Thank you very much. I had it round the other...
Replies
Views
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-3-8-in-C...
Replies
Views
Back