Toilet waste advice | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet waste advice in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derek Reed

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and hoping for some advice. I'm a keen DIYer and am planning to try and replace my downstairs cloakroom in the house we've just moved into with a new suite. I've replaced sinks before and changed a cistern siphon a few times, but never removed a whole toilet.

I'm fairly confident with most parts, except for the waste. in particular, I've never seen a set up like the one in my downstairs toilet before - the house was built in the late 70s. I'm a bit nervous about what I might find, and whether I'll be able to plumb something new into it. I have taken a photo of the waste pipe setup. - there is a smaller diameter pipe that looks like it's just pushed into a larger diameter one.

Toilet plumbing.jpg

I'm hoping I'll be able to pull out what is there and then push in a new fitting, but I'm probably being a bit over-optimistic :smartass:

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who has encountered this kind of pipework before on what to expect, and whether there are any special tools or fittings I'm likely to need.

Many thanks in advance everyone.

looks like normal 110mm pipe and a normal pan connector so yes one out one in (might need to cut the 110mm back a bit) but other than that you should be fine

the only thing you need to watch is the height of your new toilet waste fitting has to be about the same height as your old on

Hi it looks like it's a 4" branch coming from the stack with a 90 degree pan connector pushed into it. Yes it should just pull out and yes you can buy a new one with the new pan that pushes bk in

Thanks - feel a bit more relaxed about it now. I'll check the waste height on the toilet we're ordered - thanks for the tip - very grateful :)

Existing WC is termed a low level cistern, ie it has exposed flush pipe. These are now out of fashion and are mostly replaced with a close coupled unit. A normal close couple unit will require only a new pan connector and alteration of 15mm pipework to cistern. Don't use existing pan connector, even if it fits, as seals become stiff over time and it is unlikely to seal properly to new unit. When pulling pan connector from 110 waste, make sure old fin seal is not left in place.
When choosing new WC you will come across, "back to wall units" where ceramics covers the pan connection. These are unsuitable for your situation with waste going off to side. New cistern, most likely to have internal overflow, so overflow connection not required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the informative post. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate for the reply. Unfortunately the...
Replies
Views
Bailing out the loo is not something I would...
Replies
Views
Back