Toilet waste small drip leak - plumbers mait not working | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet waste small drip leak - plumbers mait not working in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Amateur here. My toilet waste has a small drip leak at the join, & I was advised to use Plumbers Mait to seal it up. I did, & it worked for a while, but what I find is the putty is continuing to get wet from the leak & the seal is being broken a few days after I press it in again. Is there some kind of sleeve I could put around this to try to fix this more permanently? Advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpeg
    IMG_6887.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
I think you have some kind of ribbed insert that isn't quite where it should be (or needs replacing) and I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. The bit on the right is logically a painted pan connector, but almost looks like a bit of cast-iron in this photo. It seems to insert into a piece of uPVC soil pipe, but possibly someone has inserted the ribs into a socket which is slightly larger bore than the pipe itself and may not really work correctly.

I'm not a fan of Plumbers Mait being used for plumbing-related purposes, and used in conjunction with plastic pipe it isn't the right material anyway. I'd suggest taking it all apart, cleaning it up, reassembling with a bit of silicone grease (or water or soap, if you must) as lubricant, and possibly a new pan connector, but if that is your only toilet, do you really want to DIY it?

It's not that it's not possible to DIY such a thing, it's that once you have it apart, it may be a while while you work out what you need to get it back together again. And if there is anything upstream of that connection, make sure you have some way of stopping water coming out from other appliances. Something like this is handy:
1725996673654.png

You could try making a bandage with a strip of cloth smeared with silicone sealant to make a form of sticky tape. I suppose if you then smeared the cloth with silicone after it had set, you might even make it reasonably hygienic in that you would have a smooth, wipeable surface.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideally take the toilet out and shouldn't be a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm not expecting to do a better job than a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-push-fit-si...
Replies
Views
Back