Toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

Got a confidence issue (again)!! Nothing new. Stressed, headache fed up.

So, a toilet is dripping when flushed from under, tighten wing nuts, not really any difference.

Undo & remove cistern, pan cracked, plumber 6 months ago siliconed it & put in a piece of plastic food carton lid!!

Now, in up the creek, I report crack/broken pan & silicone more & put back together. Water now pours out when flushed. Tenant ok as I say it needs replacing, 2 hours later agent starts on at me what have I done, there was only a drip when I went, told them I didn't know it was broken until I tried to replace donut washer. I can't see through ceramic.

Any how's, toilet is screwed to tiled floor, rusty screw & one head broken off.

How would you remove it? Crack around?

Seriously had enough. No joke. Thinking of jacking it in. Just coming up 2 yrs self employed. Confidence shattered again, no one to work with.

Cheers

Rct

Had exactly the same a few months back, lifted the pan to remove it and a big chunk fell away, don`t know what the last guy used to hide what he done but could make out it wasn`t a new crack so didn`t take the blame for it.
If your replacing it then I`d take all the water out, wrap it up in a blanket and take your frustration out on it with a club hammer. keep calm and carry on mate!

d7ebeb76cbda4a5b3da9f0ebf0e1a48d.jpg
0731cd2bec53effac5404bde1c7a9fde.jpg

Who can spot the cut up plastic lid?

RCT, you never had a chance with that! Glad you`ve got the photo`s to show the agent.

I think I'm too sensitive! Take things to heart, plays on my mind. didn't charge for anything so I'm down some silicone & a close couple kit. Don't care about that. Just on my mind.

I think I'm too sensitive! Take things to heart, plays on my mind. didn't charge for anything so I'm down some silicone & a close couple kit. Don't care about that. Just on my mind.

You got photo`s, that ain`t your fault and it`s an old bodge repair you couldn`t have know about so charge something for your time.

Never this bad. Bad week all round. Feeling very low.

Thx for your comments. Having a day off tomorrow & a think.

Wish sometimes I had someone to work with on occasion

Thx again

We call it experience, its just as much about when to walk away & take that little hit, rather than a shed load more ****, as it is about how to repair leaks on things.

Two years, your still learning & building it up, at least you care & that is so important now days with so may out there who don't.

It & you will shine through, you just have to give it a bit more time.

Last edited:

Thx again

Let`s have a show of hands guy`s.

Quote this post in your reply if you`ve NEVER felt as low as rct.

New bog, as that will always leak.
Doesn't matter what you do with that one as the weight of someone sitting on the throne will move coupling faces, and it'll pi55 out ever time it's flushed.
Had one where it was doing much the same, lifted off to find zero doughnut; they'd used plumbers mate instead.
As Sean said in Good Will Hunting, "It's not your fault."

Chin up Rocket, been there, tomorrows another day. Besides what else can a plumber do if not plumb ? You're a plumber now are you not ?

As for removal of old pan you can try smashing round the screw heads so the pan will lift out then cut srews flush with tile or unscrew with grips,
I wouldn't let it knock you confidence, we all have days/weeks where your heads choca and you can't think straight

Don't let it get you down we all have those weeks. I've had two days like that this week already. Have a beer and unwind.
And charge them. At least an hour plus your materials, don't let them get away with it.

Dont worry about it. Either leave the job or just buy a new £50 toilet and fit it - simples.
If you have to take a hit so be it. This is why we should be charging a decent rate to put up with crap like this.
The leak is not your fault. Get it sorted asap so you can forget about it and move on.

Keep in there, how can the agent say its your fault after seeing those pics? Sounds like they are trying it on, don't let them win - defiantly charge them!

Thx again

Chin up Rocketman. You come across as a decent guy, and you obviously care about your work. Two very important things in life.

Estate / lettings agents are <bleep bleep bleepity bleeps> who will blame you for everything so they don't have to pay anything.

Don't let it get you down mate. We all have shyte days. Chill out, have a beer and vent your frustrations here amongst your mates...

Mate we all have days like this, chin up.

I think these agents sense any sort of lack of confidence and pounce on it. This is how you build your experience and therefore confidence - by dealing with this type of cr@p.

In 2 years time you will be ringing agents saying "naw mate, its knackered, you need a whole new on, £250 + VAT" etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's brilliant mate, thank you. I didn't see...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
Update: used the grohe set instead and whilst...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I repaired my parents 35 year...
Replies
Views
Back