toiletsyphon | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss toiletsyphon in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy different height syphons which allow for the overflow down the syphon fitting.

but they do overflow just internally now rsther thsn externally and in the present climate can freeze in the soil pipe now

but they do overflow just internally now rsther thsn externally and in the present climate can freeze in the soil pipe now
mmm,fair point but would have to say I haven't come across this yet Tom so I'm inclined to say it's the exception rather than the rule.

I'd rather an internal than external to be honest. External ones are ignored, internal ones are a nuisance and people tend to get them fixed quicker. imho

i had it hapen a couple of years ago thats how i know had to cut out the cast iron soil pipe put short temp section in on xmas eve then replaced it after the new year replaced faulty torbeck job sorted

But we are supposed to still use the external warning pipe as well as internal. I'm sure it's a reg that nobody adheres to though, even a lot of cisterns don't have the facility for them.

no point if it uses the internal it'l never get to the external though few cisterns have the facillity for external now

But we are supposed to still use the external warning pipe as well as internal. I'm sure it's a reg that nobody adheres to though, even a lot of cisterns don't have the facility for them.

The regulations changed quite a while ago allowing the internal overflow as it is less likely to be ignored than the external one as more people have water meters now.

The regulations changed quite a while ago allowing the internal overflow as it is less likely to be ignored than the external one as more people have water meters now.

Yes, I know that. But after it became finally permissible to have internal you still had to have both. Unless it's changed in the last year or so, I think it's still the case.

Seen flats in a complex that has a sign saying the buildings insurance won't cover damage caused by leaking overflows

impossible if there is no facillity for an external overflow with the 6ltr flush the overflow level would be half way down the cisterns unless they were slimline

impossible if there is no facillity for an external overflow with the 6ltr flush the overflow level would be half way down the cisterns unless they were slimline

That was my confusion too. It's either a requirement or it's not. I don't know who makes this stuff up. But for sure, I have definitely seen it as a reg. I'd like to check if it's still in force.

The requirement is for a warning pipe or other no less effective device. It's Schedule 2, 25 (1) h of the water regulations. The requirement for a warning pipe is for storage cisterns not flushing cisterns.

Thank, Mike. You're entirely correct. I have seen the requirement for both, but it must've been years ago when they first accepted the use of internal warning. I guess I can't distinguish 2 years from a decade anymore. These bones must be getting old.

My next door neighbour had a running overflow outside. It was pouring onto another neighbours car roof. I asked him if he wanted me to have a look at it but he said not yet; it'll stop him parking outside my window next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you can pm me this we can get this moved to...
Replies
Views
Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
So getting back to my original question, do...
Replies
Views
Are you able to install in London?
Replies
Views
Hve you tried pulling the large chrome part...
Replies
Views
Back