Toolstation basin fixings | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toolstation basin fixings in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Toolstation > Screws & Fixings > Coach & Roof Bolts > Sanitary Fixing Kit

Anyone used these? Half the price of the Fischer version but if thery're anything like the Bathstore ones the the studs are so blunt they don't even bite into the plugs and just spin round.
91651.jpg

I'm thinking of the half pedestal type basins where the full weight is hanging on these, went to one last month where they failed and the whole thing dropped to the floor ripping the tiles off. Not fitted by me!

I'm sure System3 was on about using wall anchors but don't they have to pull hard on the ceramic to tighten up?

I'm thinking of the half pedestal type basins where the full weight is hanging on these, went to one last month where they failed and the whole thing dropped to the floor ripping the tiles off. Not fitted by me!

I'm sure System3 was on about using wall anchors but don't they have to pull hard on the ceramic to tighten up?
I now much prefer wall anchors if it's into a solid wall. You have to pre-tighten them first with a socket wrench so that they expand and grip inside the wall. Here's how:

Drill a 10mm hole with a SDS drill, insert the wall anchor bolt, leaving enough threads for your basin to slip on to for fixing. Usually 50mm is more than enough.
Fit the washer and tighten the nut tight to the wall with a socket wrench or adjustable until tight. Slacken off and remove the nut and washer. The bolt is now securely fixed and expanded inside the wall.
Fit a short plastic sleeve over the threads, slip on basin over bolts, then fit a large rubber tap washer, then a steel penny washer and then the nut over the threaded bolt.
Tighten bolt until basin is secure, but never overtighten.
Absolutely solid and never moves and only costs 26p per fixing!

I use a short cutting of plastic pipe over the threads where it goes through the basin holes to protect the ceramic and a 22mm tap washer with the hole widened and a penny washer behind the nut. Very, very secure and also very cheap to buy a bag of them. A bag of ten only costs £2.59.

I've also used drop in anchors with a setting tool too with 10mm screwed rod. Fiscsher fixings are way overpriced.
Here's the ones I use:Toolstation > Screws & Fixings > Steel Anchors > Through Bolt

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the Toolstation sanitary fixings (of which I have a pack in my hand) they don't appear to be as beefy and the Fischer ones and I would trust them on a wall hung basin.

The M10 wall anchors look the part though. :rockon:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I always go ott with timbers behind...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK, I'm spotting a theme here :) Thanks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If its any consolation I like 11/2 inch waste...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Check the pipe regularly, maybe there is...
Replies
Views
L
OP looks like a retail punter, so we wouldn't...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Back