Top floor radiators not working - tall house | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Top floor radiators not working - tall house in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

F

farhills

Hi

I have just bought a town house over 4 floors with around 8.5m between the boiler on the ground floor and the top floor radiators.

The boiler is a Ferroli Modena 80 E combi boiler.

My problem is that only the very top of the top floor radiators gets warm - the radiators on the lower floors work fine. I was wondering if the pump fitted to the boiler has sufficient head or is there a different problem?

As the top of the radiator is warm I don't think air is the problem. I have tried shutting off radiators on lower floors without effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

You tried bleeding them to get the air out?
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried bleeding them. Also the radiators are warm at the top so I don't think that air is the problem.

As the system is a closed loop and pressurised I don't think the head of the pump is a problem either.

I think my next job will be to try re-balancing all the radiators.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

town house over 4 floors with around 8.5m between the boiler on the ground floor and the top floor radiators.

I was wondering if the pump fitted to the boiler has sufficient head or is there a different problem?
The actual height between boiler and top floor rads is not relevant as the pump "head" refers to the pressure loss round the heating circuit. The longer the pipe run, the greater the pressure loss, but it's not directly related to the height.

There's definitely a different problem.

Has the system been balanced? If you don't know, check how many turns it takes to close the lockshield valves - turn clockwise to shut. That's the valve at the opposite end from the wheel valve or TRV valve. (Don't forget to set them back to the original position.) It should vary from rad to rad and be less than 1½ turns

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not at the house at the moment but I will try rebalancing them when I get back and check the lockshield valves to see if they have been used to reduce the flow at all.

Hi Steve. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get my daughter who is there at the moment to shut in the other radiators and see if that fixes it. As you say, if yes then it's a balance problem, if no then they may be fouled up or there's a problem with the flow to the radiators.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for your advice I will get up into...
Replies
Views
G
Could be one of a number. Need to know what...
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Oh ok - I cant help myself... The only thing I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back