Topping up boiler pressure problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Topping up boiler pressure problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeorgeBloggs

Hi,

I'm a complete novice at this so any help is appreciated.

I have a Saunier Duval Semia Condens boiler in my house and I have got used to topping up the pressure (when it drops below 1 bar and a red light comes on) by turning the filling loop valves. It was so easy that I'm not totally sure which valve I turned or which way.

A few weeks back however, the normal procedure did not work so someone came around and identified that one of the white caps (not sure of the right name) was broken and so he took it off and used an adjustable spanner to turn the valve and fill up the system.

Now, the pressure has dropped again and I can't quite remember which bit of which valve I am supposed to be turning and in which direction. If anyone can assist me in saying what I need to do that would be much appreciated. The filling loop is a Myson Combi Loop and I attach photos of it to show what I'm looking at. Happy to provide any additional info needed-I just want a warm house!

Many thanks in advance.
. IMG_20140206_210248.jpgIMG_20140206_210220.jpg

If you are filling it up so often you need to be thinking where the water is going? This wlll only get worse. You need a decent engineer out to resolve to problem of where the water is going as opposed to treating the symptoms and shortening the life of your heating system.

I would say you want to get an engineer back in to find out why your topping up so frequently, and fit a new filling loop at the same time as re-dose with the correct amount of inhibitor!

If you keep filling the system with fresh water you are risking corroding the system so i would get it repaired asap

Thanks for replies-I will do so tomorrow. In the meanwhile can anyone assist with how to top it up once more?

would say they both need to be turned on/ opened! probably anti clockwise to open and clock wise to close I think.

Hi George

Sounds like the pressure vessel has gone u/s

Either the schraeder valve is leaking or the diaphragm has got a (pin) hole.

Wont bore you with the technical explanations as to why it looses pressure when you have lost the systems ability to cope with water expanding, suffice to say it take a couple of cycles before the pressure drops below 0.5bar.

Two ways of checking, depress the valve and if it spits water vessel diaphragm has gone, or when the system pressure has been released, check (with a tyre pressure guage) what the pressure of the vessel is.

If this means taking off the boiler casing (which it will) get a qualified and competent water services engineer to do it (otherwise called a plumber) or a gas safe plumber!!

Hope this helps

Russ

PS there are still some engineers how do not have enough knowledge and will give you a load of guff

PPS I am only suggesting this from what you have described, it may not be this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Brilliant! all done & i've marked it so i...
Replies
Views
Thank you so much.
Replies
Views
thank you, good tip, I will try
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
S
This problem has been solved. The feed point...
Replies
Views
Steve Shad
S
Back