Trac Pipe - any good? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Trac Pipe - any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Been getting quotes for gas supply to be brought in from newly positioned gas meter outside and for new boiler and megaflow type tank to be installed on first floor.

Live in Victorian terrace with suspended old wooden floorboards. All plumbers have advised different size copper pipe but builder has advised trac pipe as said easier to bring in to house,(no joints etc so no pressure changes), easier to bring upstairs. I think he uses his own plumber.

What are your views of trac pipe please?

Thanks

Betty

Sticking with your question regarding trac-pipe:

1. There is still a pressure loss throughout the length of the pipework.
2. You will still need to clip the pipework, so copper would still be just as easy to install, from what you say.
3. Trac-pipe cost is a lot more per metre than copper.

While that does sound very negative, trac-pipe is good bit of kit, comes in very handy on long buried pipework runs.

An alternative brand equivalent would be Gastite, pretty much the same.

Trac pipe is good but expensive, builders like it because it takes no skill to fit and can charge you to do it instead of the engineer doing the work.

Imho having an engineer run copper piping would be cheaper and just as sound an option.
all joints will be solder and tested after installation. You can specify metal plates to be installed over any notches to further protect the pipework.

Boiler is going to be Bosch or Vaillant.
Under floor boards I have spotted quite a lot of pipe work, old lead pipe and the current copper pipe work.
Have you seen the you tube video re trac pipe and lightenning and house fires?!

(Typing this is difficult as system is so slow)!

Track pipe cannot easily be cut into, that is if you want a fire or cooker u have to buy expensive fittings which are not gr8. 28mm copper is the norm but you may require a larger pipe. Defo copper. Trackpipe is a low skill low quality solution. Bit like pushfit plastic

If it's damaged it's not something everyone carries
Plus flux will melt it. Not today but over 3weeks then hissssssss

Last edited by a moderator:
Trac pipe will require access to the fitting as well due to them being compression

touch of gas took the words right out of my mouth, I used track pipe for the first time not long ago good stuff but compression fittings

trac pipe is great for some situations, mainly burried runs from on point to another, it can save alot on istallation labour, but costs a fair bit more to buy. If it was me id be looking to use standard copper from your discription. The builder prob thinks he can throw the trac pipe in and get his gas safe engineer to connect it up. You do need to be gas safe to install this as it has the same installation needs as anythingh else.

if its done in one length it can save a lot of time, reduces any leak risk and is already covered to protect it fron concrete damage etc. so swings and roundabouts but I would use it for the convenience it allows and the fact it wont be leaking anywhere.

Under a floor is not considered as "readily accessible" so any joints on a trackpipe system must be above floor . That is if you intend to comply with current standards for domestic pipework

I've used it a couple of times.

First time was a new gas run from a remote meter and then under a mobile home. Worked great because I could use it below ground and then didn't have to sweat any joints in the confined space below the mobile home.

Second time was a right pig of a run across the roof space of a modern bungalow. Would have been a days work, tracpipe took me a couple of hours.

The issue with some people using Tracpipe is that they sling it under the floors as it's on a coil, however, if you read the instructions it needs to be well clipped so therefore still requires full access under the floor, rather than a hatch at either end to fish it through, the advert shows a stopwatch time for how long to fit Tracpipe, copper and steel, but it's a trick as they have to have clips fitted for the Tracpipe the have added the same amount of clips for the other two which don't require as many, anyone worth their salt can bend and/or solder as quickly as you can properly fit and clip Tracpipe, so for me I would only use it where it's buried in concrete, if under floors etc I would use copper all day long,
Someone mentioned Gastite as well, it looks the same, I seen an advert in a trade mag for it, told you to log in and get a free t shirt so I did, it's a cracking shade of blue,

The issue with some people using Tracpipe is that they sling it under the floors as it's on a coil, however, if you read the instructions it needs to be well clipped so therefore still requires full access under the floor, rather than a hatch at either end to fish it through, the advert shows a stopwatch time for how long to fit Tracpipe, copper and steel, but it's a trick as they have to have clips fitted for the Tracpipe the have added the same amount of clips for the other two which don't require as many, anyone worth their salt can bend and/or solder as quickly as you can properly fit and clip Tracpipe, so for me I would only use it where it's buried in concrete, if under floors etc I would use copper all day long,
Someone mentioned Gastite as well, it looks the same, I seen an advert in a trade mag for it, told you to log in and get a free t shirt so I did, it's a cracking shade of blue,

Come on Kirk, you know they kick you out of the guild if they find out you can read!

Tracpipe is great. I've been on sites and it's been all Tracpipe. Ran under the house founds in a duct and pops up at the boiler and just stick a Tracpipe to copper adaptor straight on and your sorted. It's not ideal to use all the time though as it's really expensive. On the sites we'd get coils of 100 metres but we used it up and with minimal wastage. In your situation id probably opt for copper.

Here's a job I seen the other week at the dockside in Glasgow, think they are 8 storey buildings, the meters are all in big cupboards on the landing on each floor, think they forgot the PVC tape to finish the joints, and this is the bit you can see so what's the hidden stuff like?

e7arehus.jpg

jumuvypa.jpg

This is the copper option , lagged by a moron! 6 floors all meters in basement all 22mm supplies ok on first two floors.... Top floor 15mb inlet 20at meter!

Service riser has no ventilation at all.

You install or just working on one bit? What's all the yellow mess on ceiling?

Incoming looks a tad undersized? 300m3/h on a 63mm service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

you should have acess to the main meter at all...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
V
Do they have an extractor fan in there...
Replies
Views
All done.
Replies
Views
Back