TRV used on both sides of rads??? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss TRV used on both sides of rads??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to a property (I should say mansion - 5 floors) and every single rad had a TRV on either side. One side had the stat head and the other was capped off.

Isn't this bad practice? How are you going to balance the system with all valves fully open?

Shouldn't one be a lockshield?

IMG_2563.jpg

expensive and wont work to well

That's what I thought. I said to the custard it's a bit strange to have these on both sides. 2 rads weren't working. I'm putting it down to the system being unbalanced. I should have recommended to install a LS on every rad in the property but I didn't count the number of rads DAMMIT!!!

I think you can get a lock shield chrome head for those valves.

I think you can get a lock shield chrome head for those valves.

That's what's already on them, but the valve is still fully open so what's the point?

Guess you could recommend decent matching lockshields are fitted to each rad & the Trvs that are removed, be kept as spares for the future if needed.

I know what you mean, no good for balancing. Probably used for aesthetics more than function.

I actually think they look worse than the standard trv/ls pair. And to make it worse, instead of using straight trv's he's used an angled ones so it sticks right out the wall for a kid to kick.. (on the hallway ones I mean) I just can't see the logic in this install

Guess you could recommend decent matching lockshields are fitted to each rad & the Trvs that are removed, be kept as spares for the future if needed.

I didn't count the number of rads, wish I had, my boss would have loved me!! haha I could make up a number but then I'd not know how many were straight and how many were angled valves... tick to tick to

I am forever walking away from jobs & then wondering how many, what size, etc etc.
Surprises me that very often it's the big rich houses with the fancy no expense spared plumbing materials, that have actually been done by idiots.

Mate, a friend of mine has just bought a £1.3 million place and most of her plumbing was plumbed in with the hot on the right. Toilets were leaking from the pan connector. There were leaks everywhere. And this was a brand new build, she was the first person to live in it. It's disgusting that you pay all this money for a place who has hired monkeys to do the work

I fitted some yesterday they come in a twin pack. The lockshield is the cap they give you to shut off the valve for maintenance. Bad idea. I can see the customer fiddling with them. Luckily I didn't supply them.

You could theoretically balance a lot of TRVs using decorators caps. Not very precise & prone to coming loose or being fiddled with though.
I like the Danfoss lockshields where the adjustable valve is a socket grub screw under a screwed on cap.

You balance the drayton valves with a key like tool that adjusts the range of the opening of the valve.. Can be done on the TRV end or as you have the same body either end you can chose which end you will set the balance with. I will try and find the PDF but I'm sure it will be on the drayton website.
Link to drayton valve pdf including valve balancing instructions.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http...OM_xAQ&usg=AFQjCNGjRMQjYfvu_RKs983wRGZTshDwXA
Image showing valve body and balancing tool from above pdf.
7fcc9325d94965f7a13aaf6ac64d293f.jpg

Last edited:
Once it's working just tell the custard to only operate the TRV valve... Simples :)

Once it's working just tell the custard to only operate the TRV valve... Simples :)

Then someone turns decorators cap off to decorate and re-opens fully and you have a unbalanced system.
Much better to balance on the trv. Then it can't be altered by someone with no idea what they are doing.

Then someone turns decorators cap off to decorate and re-opens fully and you have a unbalanced system.
Much better to balance on the trv. Then it can't be altered by someone with no idea what they are doing.
as in post 18
once set it can only be altered with the correct tool. You can turn it on or off manually, but the tool sets the maximum opening.

Are the tools generic or specific might get myself some, got a few pesky customers who fiddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
It is set to that, max output, CC3 at 6.5M...
Replies
Views
  • Question
#6 should not be undervalued as advice and I'm...
Replies
Views
M
Teed off of 10mm feeds from original rad?
Replies
Views
Back