Trying to get my head around the cause of three cold radiators. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Trying to get my head around the cause of three cold radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I have three radiators in my house that are not warming up at all, the other radiators are hot. All the valves (they aren't thermostatic) are open on the three cold rads, and each have in-pipes that are hot to the touch, but the radiators themselves are uniformly cold. Bleeding the radiators gives clear water.

A British Gas engineer, who recently came out to repair a broken pump and boiler fuse, balanced the system, and suggested a powerflush. However, the more I think about it, the odder it seems. When he drained the system to change the pump, I watched the end of the hosepipe, and the water was visibly clear then, also.

Any thoughts?

The draining water often looks completely clear even though rads and pipes are full of magnetite.
If it was working prior to the gas engineer work, then maybe an airlock. Just turn other rads off and run heating to see if those rads work.
But if it is dirt, get one of the rads that are not heating removed and flushed with a garden hose, plus have the both valves flushed through to see if that works.

British Gas always seem to suggest a powerflush for just about anything. I think they must get commission for doing them. Firstly if your incoming pipes are warm I expect that the system is not properly balanced. I would try as Best has suggested above by turning off the other radiators etc. There is a lot of information on how to balance your heating system if you search on the net.

Are you on a two pipe or single pipe system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
They can stick quite easily, try a spray with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That is great that it was a simpleish fix in...
Replies
Views
It is set to that, max output, CC3 at 6.5M...
Replies
Views
Back