Two Port Valve Intermittently Working - Driving me mad | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Two Port Valve Intermittently Working - Driving me mad in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,
I have a fault with my CH that has only started in the last few days and its driving me mad.
My system is set up as follows - CH, HW and UFH.
There are two port valves on each and they all work independently.
CH stat is Salus RF, UFH is Polypipe again RF.
Programmer for CH & HW is Honeywell 7 day.
The system has worked perfectly for 12 months (when it was all installed)
In the last few days the CH has stopped coming on but intermittently. HW and UFH still work fine.
The Salus receiver is picking up the stat signal just fine (light goes green) but the 2 port valve isnt powering up and obviously not calling for heat from the boiler. Sounds like a faulty 2 port you're thinking? Well thats what I thought, but the problem is after hours, sometimes a day the valve will open and the CH works!
There seems to be no pattern to this, it just opens when it feels like it.
For example, not CH all night last night or this morning when it would usually be on, then at 0915 this morning (3 hours after it is meant to come on) the valve decides to power up even though the Salus receiver has had a green light all morning.
We have the CH on constantly on the programmer and the clock in the Salus room stat controls when the heating comes on etc.
I would have thought a 2 port either works or it doesnt. Has anyone come across a fault where the 2 port sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?
I dont want to go replacing the head for no good reason.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks

Intermittent happens more than you’d think. Take the head off and see how freely the spindle turns, it could be that the whole thing that needs replacing

Ok, thanks. So you're thinking maybe the motor is ok but cant turn the spindle for some reason? Should I be able to turn the spindle with my fingers? The 2 port is less than 12 months old, but I suppose it could jam up.
I guess another test of this would be next time it doesn't open up, take the head off and see if it opens with no spindle to turn against.

Both good tests it could also filthy system water and muck stopping the valve working properly

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Hi, links don’t seem to work for me, but it...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Many thanks, I have a probe thermometer so...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun! Never thought the timer could be...
Replies
Views
Back